CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
Reed Rediger

Profile:
Hello everyone. I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist for some kettlebells. I got a response and he said he had some extra Dragon Door kettlebells that he would be willing to part ways with for near retail price - the shipping of course. I notice they seem pretty expensive, but looking at a few previous threads, I assume DD are top of the line??? (we know what happens when we assume) So is this a good deal or is there somewhere out there to find a little lesser quality KB (but still reputable name)for less $$$? Any advice is great. I know very little about KBs, but would like a few to start working out with (using DBs right now). Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Milton Grasle

Profile:
I have DD kettlesbells and am very satisfied with them. I don't think the quality of DD bells is much in question. Most will probably agree they're some of the better bells. I bought a few other brands, some from Perform Better. The bells were about 25% cheaper(Price wise) but in my opinion they weren't as polished as DD bells. The handles were squatted out and were harder to handle. Someone could argue that being harder to handle was a positive because it strengthened the grip. I just firgured I'd go to a heavier bell if I wanted more grip strength. I read from several forums that there are other brands out there that are very good quality. If you do a search on this message board, I think there is also some good info about bells. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
If you're in Washington or California there is a brand called Apollo that's being sold at Bizfits but they're having trouble keeping them in stock. Dragon door has a nice kettlebell and although I think they've been way overpriced. Since you don't have to pay for shipping, you could pay full price and they'd be cheaper than almost any you'd pick up on the internet since shipping's such a big part of the cost.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Reed Rediger

Profile:
Do these prices sound fair
-88 lbs for $160
-72 lbs for $120
-54 lbs for $100

or all 3 for $350.

I was thinking of at least picking up the 54 lb KB. Any advice? Thanks for the responses guys.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
William Henniger

Profile:
Reed,

We have got the Agatsu & KB concept bells for considerably less than that.

Agatsu - (1) 55lb $62 or (2) 55lb $117

KB Concepts - (1) $69.99

Nathan is right though, the shipping can be the equalizer. Shoot me an email if you are interested: bill@roguefitness.com

Bill Henniger
Rogue Fitness - CrossFit Columbus
http://www.roguefitness.com
Old 08-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Brandon Michael Enos

Profile:
A cheaper place to buy Dragon Door bells from is their e-bay store, much cheaper prices.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
William Henniger

Profile:
Brandon,

That is where I buy all of my DD bells but the shipping costs are very high. With some patience you can get the combined to be a pretty good deal.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
As far as quality, I got my bulldogs and beast from DD an they are top notch. I actually like the handle better than the K2, but it's all relative in regards to the amount of weight, I think.

All the best,
Arden
Old 08-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Mark Reinke

Profile:
As mentioned before, the perform better bells seem to do the trick for me. I do like the finish on the DD's better, but perform better's have developed some mean calluses on my hands! The price is comparable to william's suggestion, and their shipping is reasonable!