CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Richard Bird

Profile:
First post - awesome site.

Quick question about garage gym building. Has anyone ever tried using strutural pipe fittings to construct a pullup bar? Aluminum magnesium alloy fittings are easily rated at 2000 to 3000 lbs when fitted with 1 1/2 or 2" steel pipe. I don't have any formulas to confirm, but I'd be amazed if you could stress a pullup bar any more than three times your weight on a kipping pullup. I like this approach because it doesn't require welding, and can allow you to string together multiple bars for more than one person - i.e. my wife and I working out together....feedback appreciated.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Richard,

Sounds good to me and much easier than welding, assuming your not a welder. I'm planning a multi-person bar for our YMCA and think this sound's good. Would galvanic corrosion be a problem when used with steel pipe outside? Can you buy structural pipe fittings at Home Depot? I agree that you shouldn't have any problem strength-wise. What's the relative strength of standard pipe fittings?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
I believe Crossfit SoCal used those type fittings for the pullup bars in their gym.

crossfitsocal.com

link w/f safe
Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Eric Terrell

Profile:
My pullup bar is black iron pipe -- I think I have a piece of 3/4 inch or 1 inch stock about 4 feet long, goes into 90 degree elbows, then 4 inch pieces to stand it off, then into big 4 bolt flanges (all black iron).
Bought it all at Home Depot -- I think it was less than 20 bucks total. Screwed together and mounted into a 2x12 header across the top of my barn.
I have had it that way for a couple of years, I weigh 210 pounds, and it has never given me any reason to doubt its sturdiness, probably done a couple of thousand pullups on it. Probably more bullet proof than anything you can buy pre-made.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
Richard Bird

Profile:
lol - think I have my answer - If CFSocal is running a 21 foot pipe with SpeedRail fittings, carrying my 220 lb but on a 46 incher should be no problem whatsoever.

Yep - those are the fittings. I've got an idea for a kookie setup. Think powder coated yellow steel, and that's all I'll say until I post some pictures.

The manufacturer/brand names for these fittings is SpeedRail, Hollaender, EasyFit and several others. Galvanic corrosion might be an issue outdoors Scott, but I think it would be such a slow process that you'd have years of use before you had to replace (I used to be a sea captain, know a bit about corrosion). And, I know that Home Depot carries these types of fitting, but I'm a proud "overbuilder", so I'll probably order the highest grade I can from an industrial supplier. It doesn't appear that they are terribly expensive as you move higher up the quality scale.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Ken Froese

Profile:
It is kind of tough to tell from the pics of CFSocal's setup, but it does not look like they are applying "downward" force to the fittings. Personally I would not trust those allen key fittings for "downward" force. They would be great to come off the wall with or make a frame, But I would not use them for support off of a ceiling. I think its a good solution, but think about how to support it from the ceiling. I;m sure the supplier, would have an assortment of fittings that would work. Just my 2cents.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Roger Smith

Profile:
I've used them add short arms, that give different hand directions, to a pullup bar. I'm around 220 and have added 40 pounds weight with no sign of them giving. I got mine from mcmaster.com. They seemed to be the cheapest for internet order. No home depot and the other stores around here didn't have, so cant comment on there price....
Old 04-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #8
Richard Bird

Profile:
looking at Socal's pics, it is hard to see how they could build that rig without the application of downward force. In reading the tech specs of Kee Clamp's fittings, it looks like straight pull out force when the allen screws are set at 29 ft lbs is 2234 pounds when downward force is applied.

Worse comes to worse - i crank on a pull up, the fitting gives, I crash to the floor, maybe smack myself in the face with the bar and possibly fracture an eyesocket. Sounds like it's worth a test to me.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #9
Ken Froese

Profile:
Judging by the specs, it should be pretty bomb proof. I guess its just me being over cautious, since I climb for a living, I tend to look for over kill and try and remove all variables. I hope I didn't come off like a know it all, Good luck.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Richard Bird

Profile:
lol - didn't come off like a know it all at all. I climb as well, but not for a living (trees, rocks or otherwise). Guessing from the pic you do high tree work, and having seen the difference between a tree man's harness and a Petzl climbing harness - I know exactly where you are coming from brother. I swear that tree harness builders use a whole freakin' cow to make one of those things.