CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
BMH

Profile:  
Re: Against the Current

But you still make sugar with fat. Read more. http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/fats...-uses-fat.html wfs.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post

Your brain is the only organ that cannot run on fat.... but when it does not have adequate glucose it can run on bOHB or ketones.
+1.

You just can't run off ketones for a extended period on time.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
BMH

Profile:  

My point is ketones aren't the only thing you use. You are still making sugar from that fat intake. So it is incorrect to think sugar isn't something your body is still running off of.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #24
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
+1.

You just can't run off ketones for a extended period on time.
Some people have run off ketones for years. Some studies have shown that the brain functions better running on ketones and that it aids in memory.

Bill, how did you get "sugar is what your body runs off" from that article?

"The first step in lipid metabolism is the hydrolysis of the lipid in the cytoplasm to produce glycerol and fatty acids.

Since glycerol is a three carbon alcohol, it is metabolized quite readily into an intermediate in glycolysis, dihydroxyacetone phosphate. The last reaction is readily reversible if glycerol is needed for the synthesis of a lipid.

The hydroxyacetone, obtained from glycerol is metabolized into one of two possible compounds. Dihydroxyacetone may be converted into pyruvic acid through the glycolysis pathway to make energy.

In addition, the dihydroxyacetone may also be used in gluconeogenesis to make glucose-6-phosphate for glucose to the blood or glycogen depending upon what is required at that time.

Fatty acids are oxidized to acetyl CoA in the mitochondria using the fatty acid spiral. The acetyl CoA is then ultimately converted into ATP, CO2, and H2O using the citric acid cycle and the electron transport chain."
Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
BMH

Profile:  

Because a by product of lipid metabolism is glocose for the body which happens to be a sugar. It states the use of fat can be for making glucose or glycogen. It happened to be the first one to pop up. I have taken biochem so thanks for the review.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
Csubi Zambo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
What kind of competition is this? Understand that dropping over 20lbs by August will require a severe deficit of calories. Your performance will suffer greatly.
You read my mind Mike. This is a fun comp for charity. Part of the Garage Games. 3 WODS minimum. Ground to overhead, double Kettlebells, pull, push, probably carry too. Called the Pipehitters.

I'm worried about my performance too, but I came third from the bottom last year so I can't do much worse.

I figure I could move faster if I'm lighter.

Also,is eating before bed really that bad? My sleep cycle is Soooooo inconsistent it's not even funny anymore
Old 06-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #27
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

3 jobs, even if they are 1 FT and 2 every once in awhile are still hard; especially as the FT is a graveyard.

Gotta get your sleep. To function, to have decent T-levels even while working graveyard, to help lose fat.

Eating then sleeping is not the end of the world no matter how often we here some supermodel talk about not eating 3 or 4 hours before bedtime.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csubi Zambo View Post
You read my mind Mike. This is a fun comp for charity. Part of the Garage Games. 3 WODS minimum. Ground to overhead, double Kettlebells, pull, push, probably carry too. Called the Pipehitters.

I'm worried about my performance too, but I came third from the bottom last year so I can't do much worse.

I figure I could move faster if I'm lighter.

Also,is eating before bed really that bad? My sleep cycle is Soooooo inconsistent it's not even funny anymore
Since it's not a critical meet or event (sounds more like just a fun comp) you can still drop some body fat before hand.

If it were me I'd stick with lean meats and veggies for the majority of my meals. On training days I'd have two or three sweet potatoes post workout 2-3 times a week.

Avoid starches outside of the post work out window and stick to lean meat and veggies, go easy on the added fat intake. I.E. if the meat hamburger don't put any fat on your veggies, if the meat was chicken breast, you can add some butter or olive/coconut oil or nuts to the veggies.

You should be able to drop a decent amount of fat doing the above and making sure you don't over do it on the added fats. avoid nut butters and loading your food with olive oil, this can derail your fat loss efforts.

The week before your comp you could up your carb intake by about double to make sure you have enough stored glycogen and energy for the comp.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
Michelle Redmond

Profile:

My two cents worth! I work with people every day medically referred for lifestyle advice - so exercise and nutrition.

I see a fair few shift workers and they generally are overweight and have problems managing this. Most of them eat twice the food they need! They don't sleep much, eat a 'normal' day's food when they are awake, before shift, and then eat another day's worth of food while on shift! So - it's a good idea to keep a food diary for at least 3-4 days. From there you can work out your calorie intake (you will know what your portion sizes are like), and see where you can make changes. It's great you have cut booze, sugar and crap. Sugar's the killer. So easy to consume.

What you ate before bed - I'd recommend having carbs before going to bed as they release serotonin which will help you sleep. And sleep is so important to your overall health to be able to recover and train well. Maybe toast or porridge? something like that.

Before worrying about ratios of carbs, protein and fat, worry about how MUCH food you are eating...then you can make the changes. Hope this helps. Michelle
Old 06-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Are you suggesting the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, American College of Sports Medicine, International Olympic Committee, Australian Institute of Sport, International Association of Athletics Federations, and the British Dietetic Association have all somehow got it wrong?
Emphatically yes
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan.

You've just made an extraordinary claim, so let's see your evidence.