CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
David Levine

Profile:
I’m three months post-op from a total knee replacement (TKR). I can walk over an hour without pain but I can’t do squats to the ground as I used to. I probably won't be able to do something like burpees with much intensity. I can squat below parallel and I’m slowly regaining some of the leg strength I’ve lost. My Yoga practice is severely compromised.
Can people recommend a course of fitness I can follow - or should I just do as much as I can, adapt however I can and hope for the best?
Will full squats damage the high-density polyethylene “meniscus?”
Thanks to all for suggestions.
Regards from Co. Clare, Ireland.
David
Old 03-18-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Jamaal Dixon

Profile:
1st I would say ask your DR what are your limits since your only 3 months post op
Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
David Levine

Profile:
Doctors don't understand. If I had access to a doctor who worked with athletes, sure I'd follow his recommendation. But the doctors here in the west of Ireland are by and large a lazy lot whose idea of a workout is nine holes and a nap on a Sunday afternoon. It's a rare doctor who will help you push to the limit. Isn't that what we're all about?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
These are hard questions, especially since few of us if any are qualified to answer. I suspect that there is very little data or study on what you are trying to accomplish. You might want to find out which company made your knee and contact that company directly. See what information you can get on the limits of the device. Tell that what you want to do, give them your story, tell them that you will be their poster child for knee replacement, that you will participate in a study, let them make a commerical about you etc. I don't know, could be fun, might answer your questions. I admire your attitude and determination (and your view on doctors)
Old 03-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
David Levine

Profile:
Thanks Paul. That is great advice.
I'm thinking that if don't engage in impact I can push as much as I want to. Pain will be the limiting factor. Yesterday I did a leg workout involving goblet squats, hands-in-the-air lunges as well as I could, dead-lift into press, leg extensions, and hanging leg lifts. No more pain at night than usual. Sore hamstrings, which felt great.
We are each our own doctor when all is said and done.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
David Levine

Profile:
I've been asked to talk a bit about TKR by a long-time oly trainer. If anybody wants to read what I said let me know by email and I'll send you a copy. Progress is slow but ongoing.