CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Ted Nelson

Profile:
Anybody else have a moment like this?

Pretty new to CF, love it. Started with some buddies, and branched off on my own due to schedules and I just prefer to work out in the evening. (Mornings are coffee.) Anyway, been doing a girl WOD a day, Sun-Wed, and a Hero on Thursday.

A week or two ago, the locals were acting up and we had to be on alert(I'm in the Sinai, it's no big deal) so no daily workouts. Started getting antsy and bored and irratable, and thought to myself, "dangit, I wanna go do something with burpees," quickly followed by "wait, WTF did I just think?"

All of that is just to ask, anybody else have that moment where they realize they're hooked?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Michelle Stafford

Profile:
Re: Anybody else have a moment like this?

I was hooked workout one, day one and have been addicted ever since.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Nelson View Post
Pretty new to CF, love it. Started with some buddies, and branched off on my own due to schedules and I just prefer to work out in the evening. (Mornings are coffee.) Anyway, been doing a girl WOD a day, Sun-Wed, and a Hero on Thursday.

A week or two ago, the locals were acting up and we had to be on alert(I'm in the Sinai, it's no big deal) so no daily workouts. Started getting antsy and bored and irratable, and thought to myself, "dangit, I wanna go do something with burpees," quickly followed by "wait, WTF did I just think?"

All of that is just to ask, anybody else have that moment where they realize they're hooked?
Oh yeah; I have to admit that while the very first WOD left me gasping on the floor, that 5% 'manly' part of me thought "if it kicks my butt THIS bad, then it HAS to be good for me to get back into shape."

Once upon a time 6 months ago or so, if you asked me to do 100 burpees in 10 or 15 minutes I'd say "I'm not sure if I can do that many PERIOD."

Now? Easily - and that's considering a shoulder surgery 4 months ago. So yeah, I know that feel bro.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Clint Harris

Profile:

Barbells yes, burpees .... not so much

I realized I was hooked when it was dark, cold, raining and about 2 hours before I normally got up .....and I was still going to the gym.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:

Welcome Ted. Yep, once you have been bitten by the Crossfit bug it is hard to shake it, not that you would want to. Enjoy the experience and life changing achievements.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Ted Nelson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Barbells yes, burpees .... not so much

I realized I was hooked when it was dark, cold, raining and about 2 hours before I normally got up .....and I was still going to the gym.
Ick, mornings are for shambling around and heading into work. I prefer burning off the day's BS after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Queen View Post
Welcome Ted. Yep, once you have been bitten by the Crossfit bug it is hard to shake it, not that you would want to. Enjoy the experience and life changing achievements.
Already love seeing the improvements I've made so far. This stuff rocks.

And it doesn't take forever. And it's done by people like me!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Nelson View Post
Ick, mornings are for shambling around and heading into work. I prefer burning off the day's BS after work.
Mate, I know right ... I recently started working from home so it didn't take me long to convert. I feel differently during the day now and my appetite is different .... but I do enjoy giving it a better crack in the afternoons. I'm a little more with it by then. Some days, being awake for 20-30 mins and then trying to deadlift or something doesn't mesh well TMI ?
Give the locals my best would ya?

Last edited by Clint Harris : 10-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Christopher Cothliff

Profile:

I've trained for about 10 years in the conventional weights gyms and I had got to a point where I just couldn't be bothered to go the gym anymore, Bored of doing the same old isolation moves. When one day a friend told me about the crossfit games and I watched it on youtube. The day after I was completely hooked (some people say obsessed) and I haven't done an isolation exercise since. I'm in the army and i'm currently trying to convert the whole of my regiment in to crossfit. The lads think i'm crazy because of how excited I get when doing the WODs or thinking of stuff for us to do.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

i realised i was hooked when we did the CF open WODs in 2010

and i got the 12 midday red box for the woman who performed best... i was the only female who did the WOD rxd ( read for masters age 55-59 ). I was stoked. never looked back.

It is such a blast to actually do the WOD rxd ( open) and it is even better doing the WOD rxd when you happen to be 60+ yep i can still join in some of the WODs and hold my own..

woohoo... CF is fantastic

H