CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
Jonathan Perrott

Profile:
If there was one thing you wish you had known when you started, what would it be?

I've been crossfitting for just under a year now and was wondering if any of the more experienced athletes had some tips for myself and the rest of the beginners. Whether it's something you've learn by trial and error or heard off someone else, any tips and guidance are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Scott Spencer

Profile:
Re: If there was one thing you wish you had known when you started, what would it be?

Nutrition is your foundation. Paleo zone

When i eat like i should for a few months my workouts do better. Fall off the band wagon with eating, stress or sleep patterns and your times will go up.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: If there was one thing you wish you had known when you started, what would it be?

starting strength by rippetoe.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Perrott View Post
I've been crossfitting for just under a year now and was wondering if any of the more experienced athletes had some tips for myself and the rest of the beginners. Whether it's something you've learn by trial and error or heard off someone else, any tips and guidance are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Do the basics. A lot. Push, pull, squat. Often and heavy.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Tracey Blackman

Profile:

Don't try to do too much too soon or you can burn yourself out or injure yourself!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Brendan Carroll

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Perrott View Post

Thanks.
Learn correct form and practise it as often as you can.....
Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Crossfit by itself isn't a silver bullet. You've got to get the rest of your life fixed too - eating, sleeping, work/life balance, etc.

Just doing CF then eating crap, not sleeping, and working too much will not give good results.

Also educate yourself - read about good nutrition, proper form, etc. You have to involved, you can't just sit there and expect good things to happen w/o any effort.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
Dave Traeger

Profile:

My parents took me along to gymnastics once when I was a child but I was too timid to take part and join in. If I had known then what an awesome base it provides, in terms of coordination, strength & flexibility, I would have been all over it.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Getting strong helps. That means doing some kind of strength program with a thought-out progression, not just adding a heavy lift before whatever comes up on CF.com a few times a week. Being an "all metcons, all the time" guy is a good way to get skinny and weak, and not really all that good at CF benchmarks for that matter.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Getting strong helps. That means doing some kind of strength program with a thought-out progression, not just adding a heavy lift before whatever comes up on CF.com a few times a week. Being an "all metcons, all the time" guy is a good way to get skinny and weak, and not really all that good at CF benchmarks for that matter.
Pretty much this.