CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Joseph Avila

Profile:
Pure Pharma Fish Oil

Wondering what everyones opinion is on this Brand? Have you tried it etc.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Anthony G. Sousa

Profile:
Re: Pure Pharma Fish Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Avila View Post
Wondering what everyones opinion is on this Brand? Have you tried it etc.

Thanks!
Joseph, I'm not sure about Pure Pharma, but I read this article and also this article before settling on SeaLogic as my source. Trouble is I'm overseas and their shipping sucks (they use UPS, which is probably fine in the states, but they do a UPS to USPS transfer to get it to my FPO address, and somehow that equals a 45-day journey for the package ...?).

Anyway, I use bodybuilding.com for mailorder stuff overseas and they have both Nordic Naturals and Barlean's fish oil products. I've heard good things about both, so I'm thinking of switching over to one of those two for the more efficient shipping. I'll probably run a three-month trial on both products and see if there's any difference. The key is to get pharmaceutical grade, which is covered in the review links, and you want one that has gone through molecular distillation to remove contaminants. I also use Animal Flex, and my "zone-favorable late night snack" usually involves a can of sardines, or some other fish.

All that said, the best form of supplement is real food, not pills. Too quote Dr. Sears, "The best way to get EPA? Eat fish like salmon. ... People who don't like any kind of fish might consider supplementation with fish-oil capsules." I go against this and supplement because I can't be sure when the chow hall's going to dish up fish, or what quality it will be.

Hope this helps. Probably more than you asked for.

You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)
Old 03-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Joseph Avila

Profile:

That's great, Thank you! I am currently taking Barleans fish oil, about 8 pills a day because I usually train about two wods a day.

I ordered The Fish Oil and Vitamin D3 from Pure Pharma today, Because they gear it towards athletes which is what I wanted so I can take less also!
Here's the site http://us.purepharma.com/products.php

Tell me what you think!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Anthony G. Sousa

Profile:

I think you're on target with PurePharma as an athlete's mix because you're getting a greater than 2:1 ratio of EPA : DHA. The ratio issue is pretty controversial in the various articles I've read. I was just reading about Zone Eico Rx on Dr. Sears site. That brand is billed as an athlete's blend also. The reason seems to be addition of GLA, which I didn't see in the PurePharma. Alternatively, you can get all the GLA you need by eating slow-cook/non-instant oatmeal 2-3 days per week.

Here's a chart I made off my searches. Pill dosage isn't the company's, but is based on getting as close as possible to 2500mg/day EPA+DHA recommended Omega-3 dosage, regardless of the EPA-to-DHA ratio. That also means if you're getting Omega-3 from food sources you could reduce the pill dosage, and therefore dose per day cost as well. Cost includes shipping and uses cheaper autoship plans when available.

Brand -- EPA : DHA -- pills/day -- cost/day
Barleans -- 1.5:1 -- 8p/day -- $0.90/day
Nordic Naturals -- 1.44:1 -- 4.5p/day (4p one day, 5p next, etc.) -- $1.65/day
SeaLogix -- 2:1 -- 4p/day -- $1.44 day
PurePharma -- 2.5:1 -- 4p/day -- $1.35/day
Zone OmegaRx -- 2:1 -- 4p/day -- $1.63/day
Zone EicoRx -- 2:1 + GLA -- 4p/day -- $1.92/day

Looks like PurePharma compares well to SeaLogix and Zone products, depending on which side of the EPA-to-DHA ratio argument you fall on. Price makes it the best all around deal, assuming you're getting GLA from another source.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Joseph Avila

Profile:

Awesome thank you for the feedback! Yea I will just have to get the GLA from another source, Good to know.

Thank You!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Richard Foshee

Profile:

Came across this thread as I too was searching for info on PurePharma. If you're still looking for a fish oil supplement, check out Ascenta NutraSea liquid or the Ascenta NutraSea 2x concentrate capsules. 1 tsp of the liquid or 2 capsules is 750mg DHA, 500mg of EPA, and the upside of the caps is 1000UI of D3 as well. The caps are a little bit more expensive than PurePharma but you can also go out right now and buy them in a store rather than ordering online. I've been taking the liquid for a year and just switched to the caps.

I'm interested in PurePharma as well but there seems to be little in the way of information on the company currently.