CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Janice Marie Ferguson

Profile:
Faction Games or Garage Games "Survival of the Fittest"

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to CF and wanted to hear your thoughts on these two upcoming competitions: Faction Games near Memphis, or Garage Games "Survival of the Fittest," near Atlanta. I can only do one of the two. Which one would you compete in if you had the choice?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Tara Garrett

Profile:
Re: Faction Games or Garage Games "Survival of the Fittest"

I'm registered for Survival of the Fittest. A lot of people from my affiliate have participated in GG events and had a great time, although this is my first one. I'm not exactly fire breather material but it should still be fun.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Brent Blackburn

Profile:

Janice - I am in the same boat. I have been crossfitting for about 8 months but haven't ever competed. I definitely want to but I don't want to show up to get murdered. I like the format of the Survival of the Fittest games and the fact that you know exactly what you have to do. The mystery of the Faction Games is more in line with Crossfit but also could present some problems for me based on the movements.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Janice, I train at the same box as Tara. I'm registered to compete in the Advanced Division at Survival of the Fittest, but due to a shoulder injury, I will probably go as a coach and cheerleader and not compete. I competed in the Garage Games in February, and we had two teams from our gym compete at their last competition. The Garage asked for my input as far as scalability for Survival of the Fittest. They are very committed to making it so that anyone of any level can compete. I don't have any experience with the Faction Games, but I know for a fact that the Garage puts on a good show.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Brent Blackburn

Profile:

I ended up selecting the Faction Games because it's closer and I flipped a coin. I decided, all things being equal, that would be the determining factor for me. Tamara made a good argument for the Garage Games and both seem to have the competitions flighted so that no one gets in over their head.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Michael Bledsoe

Profile:

Hey Everybody,

Good to hear that our competition is being discussed on the forum. Can't believe I didn't think to promote it here in the first place.

We will be able to scale the beginners divisions to your needs. While we are keeping the WODs a secret until about a week out we will be announcing the movements for the beginners 3 weeks out (next week).

If you see that you will need something scaled for you all you need to do is shoot an email through our contact form at factiongames.com and we'll make sure we have what you need.

Let me know if you have any questions. My email is mike@teamfaction.com
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Janice Marie Ferguson

Profile:

Thanks so much for the input, everyone! I have had a few unexpected expenses come up, and it is not looking like my chances are good to attend either event. I am really bummed about it. Anyway, good luck to all of you and your affiliate members who are competing in either. I am sure they will both be great events. Maybe I'll see some of you at next year's sectionals and hopefully the Dirty South regionals!!! Won't there be another Garage Games in February?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Brent Blackburn

Profile:

Also, today is the last day to sign up for the Faction games for $85. Tomorrow it will be up to $100.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Justin McCallon

Profile:

It's cool that we're seeing all these local contests. They don't count toward qualifying for the Games or anything so you get less people *****ing about the events (I'm notorious for this!).

Anyway, I'm not really training specifically for it, but I have fun going to these things, so I'm planning on doing the Garage Games. The Faction Games look cool, too, but they're a lot farther for me and I don't want to do both.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Brent Blackburn

Profile:

Just wanted to express my gratitude for the Faction Games staff and the event they put on. It was an amazing atmosphere and the workouts were varied, challenging, and well judged. The event ran smoothly and had a nice spread of competitors through each class. If you're looking to add another competition next year look out for this one because it is only going to get better.

I have no affiliation with Faction or the games but am just a happy competitor who was impressed by the execution, site, and fellow competitors.