CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 11-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #11
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Most likely you will fail, because that's why we set challenging goals!

I can't speak for the muscle-up (I suck at them too...) but as for the handstand push-ups: can you perform a free-standing handstand for a long time? Work on that, and it will get you to your goal of free-standing hspus. As for a month to do it in...that is a bit lofty, but work it all day every day, and never to failure, and I have faith in you. Let us know how it goes!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #12
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
It never ceases to amaze me... this community is the best. Practical suggestions, encouragement, accountability, all in these few posts. Great to be a part of it. That being said, stay on top of it Russell. Let us know your progress.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #13
Ian Holmes

Profile:
If you did two muscle ups every hour this would be totally doable (assuming you can get yourself do 1 now).

Just take your time. An push really damn hard come the birthday.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #14
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Troy,

How do you get access to that particular area of crossfit? Is there a way we can browse selections such as the virtuosity article?

Good article by the way.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
Russell Biser

Profile:
Brendan, you are right balance in my handstands is the limiting factor. Since I have been concentrating on the muscleup I haven't been developing my hspu. So everyday for the next thirty days I plan to just hold the handstand as long as possible, and do freestanding negatives until my balance is good.

And like you said, even if I do fail the gains I have made astound me.

(of course I am going to keep repping out single muscleups on the rings and work on those elusive doubles!)
Old 12-16-2005, 11:01 PM   #16
Russell Biser

Profile:
Questions, and an update.

It is getting close and I still can not do multi reps of muscleups, though I hope with breaks I can knock out twenty two singles, I would feel a whole lot better about it if I could do doubles.

Also I can't balance a hand stand into and out of a hspu so that one may be a wash.

How can I get the balance down in 15 days? So far I have been doing static hold handstands daily (almost I have slacked off due to final exams but they are over now) The negatives aren't working out since from the bottom position I can't get up without falling. I think my pressing strength sucks to go along with crappy balance.

Should I lay off the WOD of the day and just concentrate on these goals, do extra work before the WOD instead of the warmup, or continue like I have been doing?

Whatever I do I was thinking of doing single muscleups with as much weight as I can in order to bridge over to doubles.

Guidance would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #17
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Russell

Make sure you are maintaing your false grip between muscle ups. Work on lowering yourself really slowly as you go down from up top. If you have a way of getting on top of the rings without a muscle up, work on doing negatives, and really work the sticky transition phase.

As for HSPUs, you can try them on blocks, and you can work on static strength by doing one hand handstands (find a corner). Play with those and see what you get.

As for the day itself... just dedicate a couple hours to the cause and I am sure you will get it.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #18
Russell Biser

Profile:
Two admissions and then an accomplishment:
1) Didn't have a place where I could hang the rings high so I started sitting on the ground
2) The rings weren't hanging shoulder width apart, more like 4 inches apart at the anchor points

But I got 4 MU singles in 4 minutes. It felt like cheating, with the anchors being closer together the transition was not as much of a sticking point.

Tried some negatives afterwords and just fell through the transition without much control.

Ian, I am going to try the hand stand one arm static hold in a corner, it sounds like the trick.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #19
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Looking forward to the update on the goals this week...
Old 12-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #20
Brendan Melville

Profile:
What also helps the standing HSPUs for me is to hold a static handstand, and then just like military press progression, lower yourself 1/4 of the way, and hold, lower yourself another 1/4, hold, etc...until you are at the bottom. Also, try pressing out of a headstand, that will help with the reverse. You really need to get your body used to balance all through the range of motion, and while one arm holds will help overall strength, they won't do that.

How strong are your HSPU's against a wall? I'd do what Ian says and get your HSPU's going on blocks up against a wall. The deeper you can press out of, the stronger you'll be able to press when you're just going to the floor.