CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #731
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Some of my buddies (like Blair Lowe) are crazy over her. She's ok, but I'm thinking Mark Wallace's infamous thread will have a lot of her, but not from me. Bjork Odinsdottir will take Tovar's place most likely for me.

Not going to lie, I was hoping KATRIN TANJA DAVIDSDOTTIR would make it.....
Yeah, let's keep this to the Power Trio Of Hotness thread in Stuff And Nonsense. KTD would be an Honorable Mention for me this year if she were going to Carson though.

- Mark
Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #732
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
AGREED! this quote + 10000000000000

Some kind of deadlift or CFT or Field stone or even an old school stone or barbell 2 hands anyhow to shoulders events or something simplistic as such that like you say isn't about technique but STRENGTH.
I think the deadlift event was the most cheered ever it seems watching the old tapes from The Ranch.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #733
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fischer View Post
I'd like to see something like a Crossfit total early in the week. Like first event while everyone is fresh and then bust out the usual 'surprise' first enduro event later in the day or the following day. Some kind event that will allow for people to approach pr lifts (squat, dead, bench, ohp, whatever).

The CF Total seems like a logical event considering it's just as much a staple in the community as 'the girls'.
The thing I will say is if they do a CFT or some other 1rm event they should have ridiculous time limits AND most importantly they will need to have good judges who will be strict but fair and no rep crappy reps. I've seen plenty of vids that athletes put up and half the reps would be red lighted. Can't have that kind of controversy
Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #734
Jason Fischer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
The thing I will say is if they do a CFT or some other 1rm event they should have ridiculous time limits AND most importantly they will need to have good judges who will be strict but fair and no rep crappy reps. I've seen plenty of vids that athletes put up and half the reps would be red lighted. Can't have that kind of controversy
*cough*Castro*cough*Lipson*cough*
Old 05-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #735
Clifton Mack

Profile:

CF Total gets my vote, give that event to the athletes on wednesday as the surprise event. It should be the only thing they do that day. Set up platform for each lift and one huge warm up area. When an athlete is ready they go up on the big stage in front of the camera. May not be spectator friendly but who cares since its the surprise event before the weekend. Compile all the lifts in one video to watch as archived footage. Let them have one failure at each movement.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #736
Michael Cook

Profile:

[quote=Need something heavy to test all our strength at the Games. Pure Strength, not form/technique, but raw, brute strength.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with an event that only tests strength, is that it would disproportionately favor heavier athletes.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #737
Adam Manery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
I think the problem with an event that only tests strength, is that it would disproportionately favor heavier athletes.
That's why I love Andrew's idea. Have the total, which favours the heavier guys but then have an event following that uses a % of your lift(s) to determine the weight(s). I think that that would be some pretty entertaining and well-rounded programming.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #738
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Manery View Post
That's why I love Andrew's idea. Have the total, which favours the heavier guys but then have an event following that uses a % of your lift(s) to determine the weight(s). I think that that would be some pretty entertaining and well-rounded programming.
People could game it, not go to a full max if they knew they'd still finish in the top 10 or so and then blow up the % portion of the next WOD.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #739
Adam Manery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
People could game it, not go to a full max if they knew they'd still finish in the top 10 or so and then blow up the % portion of the next WOD.
That's a fair point. I feel like there is a way to do something like this though, I'm just not quite sure what the best way to go about it would be.

EDIT: This isn't really directly related to the "total", but they could always do a WOD with weight determined by body weight. Some people don't like those events but I have seen them before and they can be pretty fun. That would balance out the "total" event before, although indirectly.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #740
Andrew Scheid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Manery View Post
That's a fair point. I feel like there is a way to do something like this though, I'm just not quite sure what the best way to go about it would be.

EDIT: This isn't really directly related to the "total", but they could always do a WOD with weight determined by body weight. Some people don't like those events but I have seen them before and they can be pretty fun. That would balance out the "total" event before, although indirectly.
I thought that too. The % WOD could be the surprise event and could even be later in the weekend when everyone is more fatigued.

I wouldn't be surprised to see heavier events in the games to create balance after the regional programming (though I still have no issues with regionals).