CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #721
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
I think Lauren Fisher can fill that role....best looking one so far for me!
Some of my buddies (like Blair Lowe) are crazy over her. She's ok, but I'm thinking Mark Wallace's infamous thread will have a lot of her, but not from me. Bjork Odinsdottir will take Tovar's place most likely for me.

Not going to lie, I was hoping KATRIN TANJA DAVIDSDOTTIR would make it.....
Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #722
Andrew Scheid

Profile:

I was meh on the programming at first, but I appreciated his reasoning. All of these people are incredibly strong - we all know that. But what else can they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
That means no white short shorts.....

Honestly though, hats off to the whole staff, and Castro for the extremely well run event this year. I attended South Central and was about 10 feet away from Dave when he got there on Saturday. Wanted to say hey, and give an honest congratulations on the programming and the event as a whole but too many people were busy taking selfies with him. Much better programming this year than in the past. Very easy to watch.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #723
Bryan Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
I think Lauren Fisher can fill that role....best looking one so far for me!
YES! She filled out those white shorts very nicely.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #724
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Scheid View Post
I was meh on the programming at first, but I appreciated his reasoning. All of these people are incredibly strong - we all know that. But what else can they do?
I guess I wouldnt say they are all INCREDIBLY strong and for me that is something i'd like to see tested I guess, who is the strongest, not who has the best technique (oly lifting) or who has the biggest engine (LOTS of workouts already) or whatever else.

What routinely gets tested at the games and regionals:

- Gymnastic stuff (relative strength, balance and coordination, flexibility, accuracy)
- Oly lifting (power, speed strength, technique/skill, accuracy, flexibility)
- Sprinting (power, coordination, stamina)
- Couplets/triplets/chippers (endurance, strength endurance/stamina, depending on the event power also)

Basically i'm trying to say pure brute strength is RARELY (if ever) tested in the games and/or regionals. The heaviest things i've heard of have been the 405x5 DL in the CINCO 1, and flipping the PIG, and we know it wasn't heavy enough to stop many, and these events in particular involved plenty of reps, other then that typically you see loads in the 145-205 range for men.

I know the distance/endurance crowd will chime in and say well same for us, but, I have to disagree. First of all you had a marathon...on the rower no less, so its even LESS interesting to watch since you can't see who's beating who. Pendleton 1 another great example.
Not to mention the entire games weekend is kind of a big long grueling event in its own right, where you have to have enough endurance for the whole thing.
Any C&J or snatch ladder event is also stamina influenced since lifters are lifting every 30-90 seconds, so you likely won't see any all time PRs at this time.

I will say 2013 SO FAR has been the best programmed games in terms of event variety in regards to testing different aspects. I hope they keep progressing in this vein.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #725
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Some of my buddies (like Blair Lowe) are crazy over her. She's ok
Lauren Fisher is alright but she pales in comparison to Lydia Valentin.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #726
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Lauren Fisher is alright but she pales in comparison to Lydia Valentin.
I'm talking crossfitters here blair, stay on target......
Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #727
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I guess I wouldnt say they are all INCREDIBLY strong and for me that is something i'd like to see tested I guess, who is the strongest, not who has the best technique (oly lifting) or who has the biggest engine (LOTS of workouts already) or whatever else.

What routinely gets tested at the games and regionals:

- Gymnastic stuff (relative strength, balance and coordination, flexibility, accuracy)
- Oly lifting (power, speed strength, technique/skill, accuracy, flexibility)
- Sprinting (power, coordination, stamina)
- Couplets/triplets/chippers (endurance, strength endurance/stamina, depending on the event power also)

Basically i'm trying to say pure brute strength is RARELY (if ever) tested in the games and/or regionals. The heaviest things i've heard of have been the 405x5 DL in the CINCO 1, and flipping the PIG, and we know it wasn't heavy enough to stop many, and these events in particular involved plenty of reps, other then that typically you see loads in the 145-205 range for men.

I know the distance/endurance crowd will chime in and say well same for us, but, I have to disagree. First of all you had a marathon...on the rower no less, so its even LESS interesting to watch since you can't see who's beating who. Pendleton 1 another great example.
Not to mention the entire games weekend is kind of a big long grueling event in its own right, where you have to have enough endurance for the whole thing.
Any C&J or snatch ladder event is also stamina influenced since lifters are lifting every 30-90 seconds, so you likely won't see any all time PRs at this time.

I will say 2013 SO FAR has been the best programmed games in terms of event variety in regards to testing different aspects. I hope they keep progressing in this vein.

Agree 100% Drew. I have been harping on this for a LONG time. I think in terms of what we have seen so far YTD in Games season, this year has been the best. Time will tell rather the programming at the Games is the best, but I think The Open and Regionals has been the best so far for each of those events.

Need something heavy to test all our strength at the Games. Pure Strength, not form/technique, but raw, brute strength.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #728
Jason Fischer

Profile:

Quote:
Agree 100% Drew. I have been harping on this for a LONG time. I think in terms of what we have seen so far YTD in Games season, this year has been the best. Time will tell rather the programming at the Games is the best, but I think The Open and Regionals has been the best so far for each of those events.

Need something heavy to test all our strength at the Games. Pure Strength, not form/technique, but raw, brute strength.
I'd like to see something like a Crossfit total early in the week. Like first event while everyone is fresh and then bust out the usual 'surprise' first enduro event later in the day or the following day. Some kind event that will allow for people to approach pr lifts (squat, dead, bench, ohp, whatever).

The CF Total seems like a logical event considering it's just as much a staple in the community as 'the girls'.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #729
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:

AGREED! this quote + 10000000000000

Some kind of deadlift or CFT or Field stone or even an old school stone or barbell 2 hands anyhow to shoulders events or something simplistic as such that like you say isn't about technique but STRENGTH.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #730
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fischer View Post
I'd like to see something like a Crossfit total early in the week. Like first event while everyone is fresh and then bust out the usual 'surprise' first enduro event later in the day or the following day. Some kind event that will allow for people to approach pr lifts (squat, dead, bench, ohp, whatever).

The CF Total seems like a logical event considering it's just as much a staple in the community as 'the girls'.
For years I have said a CT Total and then an event based off %'s, so everyone finds their 1RM for that day in each, then 4 rounds of 3 reps per lift at 80%. Strength endurance right there.