CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-19-2003, 10:19 PM   #1
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

As of late, the NHE carb meals have been giving me some trouble. I have been getting bloated, gassy, foggy, etc. Not really sure what to do at this point. Tonight my carb up meal was whole grain barley with chinese vegetables for the first meal. Oatmeal with mixed berries and apples for the second. Also, I have been smoothing out a lot more the night of and day after a carb meal. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have not bothered you guys with a question for a wee bit so I figured one was due :-)

-Jay
Old 11-20-2003, 11:17 AM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
How large are your carb load meals?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
Dan John

Profile:

This was discussed at Lyle McDonald's site this week. He notes that if you go the rapid carb up (like the 5 off two on (off carbs) Anabolic Diet...or the NHE variation) that you must NOT go the high fiber route at the same time. So, he pushes bagels...the greatest of the high carb foods without any redeeming value.

I notice the same thing. I carb up and try to train heavy one day a week, but I always start getting the same issues that you are seeing. (don't spot my squats...if you get the "drift" (a few chuckles/a thunderous applause).

I find that sugar free metamucil really helps in the transformation from zero carb/low carb to the high carb day. You have to be "moving" (a few chuckles/a thunderous applause).

I am coming to the conclusion that the high carb works simply by reminding me how much my body hates those foods.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:00 PM   #4
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

4-5 servings of barley... quite a few veggies with that... 4-5 serving of oatmeal... quite a bit of fruit with that... don't always finish either... I have been thinking about it and the fiber issue makes sense. Faigin, in NHE, says one should not drink a lot of water before, during, or directly after the carb meal(s). On the other hand, most say to drink a lot of water when consuming a good deal of fiber. Well, 5 servings of barley packs a 40 grams fiber wallop (that's without the veggies) and oatmeal with berries is pretty high as well. It would seem that all that fiber without sufficient water is causing problems. Question is, do I go for lower fiber foods or up water intake?

-Jay
Old 11-21-2003, 08:44 AM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
DAMN... 4-5 servings of barley, and 4-5 servings of oatmeal with berries? And then fruit, and veggies.... you're consuming close to 100 grams of fiber! Damn..
Old 11-21-2003, 10:12 AM   #6
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Yeah - that's the problem ;) I think I'll switch over to brown rice instead of barley, that'll cut down a lot. I was thinking about going straight Paleo - the results on NHE are just treating me too good though :-)

-Jay