CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Lisa Gallagher

Profile:
Burning Muscle v. Fat- IF & Long Workouts

Hi All

Ive read a number of posts about people using IF combined with HIIT or CF METCONs to lose fat. Interestingly, I was reading an article on weight loss in a biking mag that suggested cycling easy for an hour in the morning in a fasted state to burn fat. It gave the explanation below as its rationale along with a note that if you go too hard or long, you will start to burn muscle.

"While sleeping, your body enters a resting mode, using fat as its main energy source. You can prolong this state while cycling, though now the body has to mobilize even more fat as well as muscle glycogen because your heart rate is elevated. Cautions: If you go too hard or too long, you'll run out of glycogen, start burning protein (i.e., muscle) for energy and feel spacy because your brain isn't getting enough glucose"

So my question is at what point do we need to worry about our bodies beginning to burn muscle for energy rather than fat? I'm curious about this both when fasting and when doing longer workouts.

Also, Ive seen so many contrary theories on this, but if we want to burn fat during our morning workouts is it better not to eat beforehand?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Burning Muscle v. Fat- IF & Long Workouts

We don't really subscribe to this theory here, IMO. In general, CF'ers believe that carbs are the devil (that's an exaggeration), and your intake of carbs, esp. grains/sugars/processed carbs, cause your glucose levels to go up and down, which triggers insulin to go up and down, and insulin causes your body to store fat. Soo, eat the right foods (search zone and paleo) in proportion and this is not an issue.

The idea is to get your body to burn fat for energy.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Lisa Gallagher

Profile:

Thanks for the input. That is what I am trying to do on the diet side of things and I have considered trying IF to further my effots, though I am still on the fence about IF.

What I still am wondering is do I ever need to be concerned with my body turning to muscle as a source for fuel, particularly if I am doing long workouts or do not get a chance to eat right away post workout. I am not sure if you meant that by watching our nutrition this will never happen, so I apologize if I appear to be asking the same question.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i work out fasted as much as possible. usually dont eat for at least an hour afterword because im trying to cut fat. all my pr's are still going up and i gained just under 6 lbs of muscle in the last 7 weeks. hope this helps a little

and when i say fasted i usuall mean i workout at noon or 3 pm usaully without eating since around 9ish the night before
Old 03-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:

Uh- You've gotta give us more details on that Brett! How are you eating/what are you doing?

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Uh- You've gotta give us more details on that Brett! How are you eating/what are you doing?
lol
im doing CrossFit at my affiliate. we usually do strength work then metcons most of the week. ive only been back at it for almost 2 months after a shoulder injury that had me down for 3 and half months in which i ate like **** and gained 30 lbs back.
i eat ok now. i try to just eat meats and veggies and low carb for meals. i do eat a bit much sugar sometimes. my weight has stayed pretty much the same but last time i started i didnt really drop significant weight until my third month so hopefully soon here i will see fat dropping faster. but im gaining 5 to 10 pounds on all lifts when they come up.
but thats what i do though it seems. i gain muscle get stronger then start shedding.

also i just am stronger and faster when im fasted

another EDIT. on days i work i just wake up and go to work.(floor installer) i go to my affiliate on my home usually between 3-4. then i eat later. on my days off that i workout i go in at noon because im hungry and thinking about LOL then eat when i get back. sometimes if im REALLY hungry ill snack something small before i workout because if im to hungry it will affect me negatively but usually im fine

Last edited by Brett Dartt : 03-28-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Tyler Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
i work out fasted as much as possible. usually dont eat for at least an hour afterword because im trying to cut fat. all my pr's are still going up and i gained just under 6 lbs of muscle in the last 7 weeks. hope this helps a little

and when i say fasted i usuall mean i workout at noon or 3 pm usaully without eating since around 9ish the night before
This simply is not possible... unless you are using performance enhancing drugs or just starting CF or SS. Most people will not put on 6lbs of muscle in 12 months (using crossfit, however with body building... maybe).
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

sure its possible tyler, he said he just came back from 4 months off.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Smith View Post
This simply is not possible... unless you are using performance enhancing drugs or just starting CF or SS. Most people will not put on 6lbs of muscle in 12 months (using CrossFit, however with body building... maybe).
how so? it is an estimate but my waistline has lost 3/4 inch and i have gained over 5 and a half lbs. we do a **** ton of strength work before metcons and i eat alot. in the last two months my deadlift went from 290 to 325 hell my 5 rep max is 300 now.

****ton being 3x5 or 5x5 or 7x1 of something almost everyday before the metcon

Last edited by Brett Dartt : 03-28-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
Tyler Smith

Profile:

Ha, look at the post times, I posted just as he wrote that post. However, I still have a hard time seeing 6lbs of muscle in 7 weeks...