CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Bill Russell

Profile:
I travel a lot for business and do creative CrossFit workouts as often as I can. I usually get better workouts while out of town.

Of course, pushups, squats, burpees, etc are all easy to do, but they are also easy not to do. I like doing odd stuff to keep things fresh, plus I get a kick out of the strange looks from people!

Here are a few things, I mix them up into triplets and chippers, some for time, some for # of rounds, sometimes tabatas.

thrusters with two 1-gallon water jugs or single 2.5 gallon
hotel stairwell walkups, holding suitcase overhead
Suitcase thrusters, cleans and snatches
Ironing board Overhead squats
Barrier vaults over pool fence
pullups and L-hangs on low hanging tree branch or towel tossed over branch
Beach 5K run, sprints and shuttle runs

Tabata squat/pushup/squat/chair dip in hotel room is a great 16 min. routine, still my favorite.

I could rambled on endlessly! Anyone have any good ones to add?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
jump up the stairs (landing both feet) every 2nd or 3rd step. at the top run to the elevator. do high knees or jump squats riding it down. this is great for the terrified looks on the fellow hotel guests faces.

just dont try jump rope in the atlanta hartfield airport. some airport official with a sour attitude will make you move on (i found a deserted corner...so there!).
-------------------------------

dy try n

Old 05-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Brett Tom

Profile:
I like to do feet on the hotel desk elevated pushups.

Most places I end up st usually have a gym with at least a 35lbs db to do KB swings with.

21-15-9 rep schemes keeps it short and focused for me
Old 05-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
John Milgram

Profile:
Bill, you got some good ideas above, but you just gotta get out of the hotel and find a park! Random park workouts are about my personal favorite. Start out with a vague route and distance in mind, and every fixed object becomes a stopping point for some kind of exercise. I don't really plan anything, I just go until I'm whipped. Sprint (if you can!) between objects. Or lunge-walk between them. Or bear crawl. Picnic tables are for feet-elevated pushups, or "box jumps" or even thrusters. Bike racks are good for thrusters, too, if not bolted down - just get under one end and get to work. Backstops are for handstands, or carry a length of rope (even that jumprope noted above) for body rows or pullups. Small bleachers are for box jumps or heels-only squatting (stand with your toes hanging off the bleacher seat) or elevated pushups or situps with all but your butt hanging off for better (i.e worse) balance. Tree limbs are, as you note, for pullups etc. Railings, as you note, are for jumping over, or body rowing. And if there's a playground or a Parcourse, even better. Near a woods? Grab a stump or length of dead branch or a rock for whatever move you like. Near a beach? Bring a strong duffel and fill it with sand. In a hilly city? Find steps to run or hills to sprint. Plus, think of all the cool stuff you could bring in the trunk of your car if you were on a road trip. Now you got me thinking of doing something like this today - maybe at Euclid Creek Metroparks on the way home ...
Old 05-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Bill Russell

Profile:
All good points John. I had two good wokouts on Venice Beach this week (Fla, not CA)

Since you are in CLE, join us for Hooverball on Sunday noon, Lakewood Park. It's our first attempt.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Brad Davis

Profile:
You've already thought of this, but my new favorite is a 100 burpee race.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to WODs