CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-20-2003, 03:37 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

I'd like to try the NHE plan, but i had a question: Is purchasing the book the only way I can learn about it? I dont want to have to buy the book to find out what I need to do to follow the plan. I h avent found a library that has it either. Could someone lead me to a website of how it works/what it is or just type a long *** post with directions?

LoL I feel like a freeloader :D

P.S> I went to extique.com, and i didnt find anything. Just a "Book for sale"
Old 11-20-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Roy,

Go back to your local library and ask about interlibrary loan. Make sure you bring as much info about the book as possible (i.e. publisher, publish date, pages, etc.). It may take a couple weeks but they should be able to get you a copy. It may help to mention that the library in Pike's Peak, CO has a copy (that's where I they found the copy I borrowed - I live in WI).

Hope this helps.
Your fellow freeloader,

Ryan
Old 11-20-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Go with Ryan's idea. If that does not pan out, let me know and I will type a long *** explanation. NHE, as a whole, is awesome. Even if I tell you how to follow the plan, you will not know why you are doing so. If you can get your hands on the book, do it! If not, totally understandable. Like I said, try Ryan's suggestion, if it does not work out, I'd be happy to help a fellow cheap-skate out ;)

-Jay
Old 11-23-2003, 01:06 PM   #4
Roy

Profile:

I think it would be better if you typed an explanation. I plan on getting my hands on the book some time soon, but cant this week because Im in the process of moving back to MT for a little while. Is NHE like eating nothing but fats and protein for 5 days, and then carbing out for two days?

You dont have to type an essay or anything! I just wanna get the jist of it. Thanks a million.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:15 PM   #5
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

You are thinking of The Anabolic Diet by Mauro Pasquale.

On NHE, you carb up on the 3rd and 7th day of a seven day cycle. (If you started the cycle on Monday, you would carb up Wednesday and Sunday.)

To begin the NHE eating plan you have to go through a Metabolic shift similar to Atkins' induction. You eat under 20 grams of carbs a day for 7 days straight (The carb grams should come from veggies such as broccoli). During this time you should eat as much fat and protein as you want. The more fat the better; this will facilitate the shift from sugar burner to fat burner.

After the initial seven days you will start on the general NHE cycle. In other words, if you started the metabolic shift on monday the 1st you would start the regular cycle on monday the 8th. At this point, you can start consuming 30-60 grams of carbs per day (veggies such as broccoli, spinach, and lettuce can be consumed in unlimited quantities and do not count toward your carb gram limit) on the downcycle days. Keeping with our example; you would then have your first "carb load" meal on wednesday the 11th. The "carb load" consists of either the last or last two meals of the day (you should be eating at least 4 times a day) You should aim to keep the carb meals starchy rather than sugary and keep your fat intake under 20 grams for these meals. You would then go back to your low carb plan the following day and would continue to follow the low carb plan till Sunday, when you would once again "carb load".

Do not count calories! This is against the rules of NHE. Go on how you feel. The metabolic shift is one of the most important parts of the plan. IF you do not keep your carbs low enough and your fat high enough, your metabolism will not switch from burning primarily carbs to burning fat. Not a good thing :-) I think I have covered just about everything. Best of luck!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Jay
Old 11-25-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
Roy

Profile:

Well, after I typed my last post during the weekend I went over to barnes and noble to lok for the book. They didnt have it, so I went to look around and a book caught my eye which I believe Ive seen discussed on this board or another one before. Its called "The Warrior Diet" I read damn near the whole thing there at the bookstore for hours, and it was so interesting, I gave it a try. Yesterday I woke up, just had a cup of coffee, a kiwi and a little bit of chicken breast at 9:00am, orange and the other half breast at 12, another little bit of chicken and an apple at 3, busted my *** at fed ex with about 600 "powercleans" and 400 "deadlifts" (these were actually deadlifts with real heavy boxes and perfect executions every "rep" they were about a hundred pounds) Then I got home drooling(literally) and had about 6 egg whites, string cheese, 3 slices of ham, 8 oz chicken breast, can of sardines, handful of walnuts, 12 dried apricots, 6 bowls of oatmeal, banana, apple, and granola bar. DAMN! I could not move. And have never reached a better level of satiety in my life.

During all day yesterday, I felt very alert and even though I was fasting, I did not get hungry once. I just followed directions from what I read. I did it today too, and still felt very alert and full of cat like energy.

Any thoughts on this way of eating? Its how warriors of ancient rome and greece ate. It works well for me so far.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:52 PM   #7
Roy

Profile:

http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_64war.html

This is a good interview concerning this diet. Very ammusing interview in some parts.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Roy,

You bastard! I typed all that out for nothing?!?!?! HAHA... Just kidding bro.. I followed the warrior diet a while back. Works pretty well actually. I would mix the warrior diet with a paleo style of eating. Trust me, the plan does not give you the excuse to eat whatever you want (as it says it does). If you head over to www.dragondoor.com and check out the articles section, there are quite a few of them written by Ori (Also, on the nutrition side of the board, many guys follow the plan, if you want advice from those walking the walk, it's the place to go). Also, www.warriordiet.com is his website for the book/program. Keep us updated on your progress with the plan. As I said, I have had quite a bit of experience with it - if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'll do my best to help ya out :-)

-Jay