CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Adam Yudman
Member Adam Yudman is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 26
Re: Increasing Shoulder mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Shaun, it's a great site. Keep it up.

The four things we look at when working with shoulders are;
1. posture
2. joint position-packing the shoulder(scapular moving back and down, NOT up and away like you are taught to perform the OHS)
3. grip-the stronger your grip, the better the stabilizers of the shoulder will work(think heavy farmers walks, and other grip work)
4. breath- Easily the most overlooked part, and hard to explain via writing. Think breathing out with your belly, then up with your chest and shoulders. This makes your diaphragm work properly, and helps with motion of the thoracic spine. Also, breathing "up" forces you to use your traps, levators, and other musculature that should be used to support and motion of the shoulder, NOT for breathing.
I've been talking about this with people recently...so are you saying in the OHS/snatch we shouldnt try to "touch our ears with are elbows" but rather focus on the opposite?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: Increasing Shoulder mobility

Correct. That is "unpacking" the shoulder joint. Packing a joint creates a stronger, more stable, and more safe position. Same goes for packing the neck in a deadlift.

Don't reply that it's not true with a youtube video of a guy deadlifitng 1000lbs while looking at the ceiling. Still does not make it safe, and I'm willing to bet, if he'd pack his neck and done a few other small things, it could have been 1100.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
Aaron Gainer
Member Aaron Gainer is offline
 
Aaron Gainer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Macomb  MI
Posts: 693
Re: Increasing Shoulder mobility

Stretch the crap out of the pec major,minor, biceps, and lats. Build a routine and stick to it. Only time under tension will diminish those flexibility issues.
__________________
B.S. Physical Education and Health
NSCA C.S.C.S, USAW Level 1
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
Ben Moskowitz
Member Ben Moskowitz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Louis  MO
Posts: 756
Re: Increasing Shoulder mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Yudman View Post
I've been talking about this with people recently...so are you saying in the OHS/snatch we shouldnt try to "touch our ears with are elbows" but rather focus on the opposite?
Here is a better explanation of this phenomenon by Kelly Starrett:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...veShoulder.mov

link WFS
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #15
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: Increasing Shoulder mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
Here is a better explanation of this phenomenon by Kelly Starrett:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...veShoulder.mov

link WFS

Exactly! Better than I could explain it via this blog.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #16
Nathaniel Barr
Member Nathaniel Barr is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn  NY
Posts: 4
Re: Increasing Shoulder mobility

I want to thank everyone for providing such great help to me. There is no doubt that I lack thoracic mobility along with shoulder mobility, which might be one of the reasons I cannot overhead squat or snatch. A trainer I worked with diagnosed my issue as mild thoracic kyphosis, which is easily visible from the internally rotated position of my shoulders (as described in a previous post). Are there any other movements I can do in my mobility drills to open up the thoracic spine? I have been working on prone back extensions and on rolling out my thoracic spine on a foam roller. I am also wondering if there are any exercises, such as dips, that should be eliminated or done in moderation in order to open up the shoulders. Any other help would be great. Thanks again
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: Increasing Shoulder mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel Barr View Post
I want to thank everyone for providing such great help to me. There is no doubt that I lack thoracic mobility along with shoulder mobility, which might be one of the reasons I cannot overhead squat or snatch. A trainer I worked with diagnosed my issue as mild thoracic kyphosis, which is easily visible from the internally rotated position of my shoulders (as described in a previous post). Are there any other movements I can do in my mobility drills to open up the thoracic spine? I have been working on prone back extensions and on rolling out my thoracic spine on a foam roller. I am also wondering if there are any exercises, such as dips, that should be eliminated or done in moderation in order to open up the shoulders. Any other help would be great. Thanks again

When you have a problem...you should work in the following order. When one is better, move on to the next.
1.Mobility-described above(that's enough to get started)
2.Static Stability-push up hold
3.Dynamic Stability-KBS, DL, arm bar with KB, push up
4.Strength-add weight to dynamic stability above.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoulder Mobility Harrison Somoza Health and Medical Issues 3 06-06-2011 07:47 AM
Shoulder mobility Rob Bridgford Health and Medical Issues 7 05-23-2010 11:54 AM
Shoulder Mobility Problems Matthew Stafford Fitness 4 08-28-2008 01:22 PM
shoulder mobility issues Justin Shipley Exercises 4 02-07-2008 09:50 PM
Problem with one shoulder mobility Greg Davis Injuries 3 02-07-2007 05:34 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.