CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Bryan Hood

Profile:
Re: Trouble with Double Unders

Finally got mine down today. Been CF'ing since spring '06. It's always been embarrassing for me NOT to be able to do them. I've just got no rhythm. Today I decided was the day we'd clear the streets and have it out. I just did 20 in a row. One thing that REALLY helped me was lowering my shoulders (pressing them down), not moving my arms AT ALL so only my wrists were moving and hoping like I was doing a 15" box jump. What everyone else wrote is real good advice too. Best of luck!!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan Halbert View Post
Seriously, I've become really fast and a beast at doing singles now LOL. Also when the WOD calls for DU's I have to double that number in single jumps.
Well there's your problem. At our box, if you can't do DUs, you have to do 5x the number of singles. That right there is HUGE motivation to getting your DUs down.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Thomas Davenport

Profile:  

This worked for me, and makes sense only once you can competently do singles:

(1) Start by jumping in place, without a rope, mimicking the movement of normal singles. You will not be holding a rope, but just acting like one is in your hands.

(2) Still jumping without a rope, increase your jump height (without donkey kicking your feet under you), continuing to act like you are doing now slower singles. Make sure you are still bouncing off of the balls of your feet only.

(3) Then, with that increased jump height, and still not holding a rope, act like you are turning the wrists rapidly for doubles. Most people who are learning double unders struggle with the concept of even doing the movement without the rope -- the whole patting your head/rubbing your tummy thing someone else alluded to.

(4) Now, grab the rope. And repeat (1) through (3). As some have said, start by just trying to mixing one DU in among singles. Once you are competent with that, try to get two DUs in a row.

Really, really try to avoid donkey kicking. They take far more out of you then just jumping a bit higher. Also, they are hell to unlearn. Yes, this comes from experience.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #14
Harish Shetty

Profile:

It took e some time to get DU's. my mistake was focusing on the jump.

try to work on your wrist speed n be light on your feet .
Old 03-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
Jason Denny

Profile:

I have been doing single-double-single-double for about a year. To do 50DU's I jumped my butt off doing it in that rhythm. Last week it was like I flipped a switch...I can do them unbroken easily now. WOW, it is easier to do them unbroken then the single-double I have been doing. To celebrate my breakthrough, I do 20-30 DU's for every warm up . It is actually a great addition to my warm up.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #16
Michelle Simpson

Profile:

The more I focused on singles/fast singles, the further away from the DU's I got. At our box we have to do 4x singles for each DU.

One of our trainers reduced the amount of DU's in a wod last week and set the number to 10 per round for me and for whatever reason that number worked. It was an attainable goal that didn't defeat me back to singles. I started with single, single, double.

Just today I practiced doing 10 DU's every minute on the minute for 15 rounds. It would take me between 26-32 seconds and I was able to link 7 in several of the rounds which is a huge improvement for me.

IMHO if you are just practicing, you should still set a timer as it gives you the same "against the clock" feeling of a wod.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
Patrick Scott

Profile:

Glad I used the search. I've been struggling mightily with DU's, especially after I was forced to do them for the Sectional Open. I've got the single but I just can't fire my wrists fast enough to get the double. Maybe it's my rope??? I've got a cheap-o $5 target "speed rope". I hate to throw money at the problem but investing in a good rope is something I should probably do. I've watched all the vids out there and still can't get the timing. I'm hoping It'll just click one day.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
Jason Denny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Scott View Post
Glad I used the search. I've been struggling mightily with DU's, especially after I was forced to do them for the Sectional Open. I've got the single but I just can't fire my wrists fast enough to get the double. Maybe it's my rope??? I've got a cheap-o $5 target "speed rope". I hate to throw money at the problem but investing in a good rope is something I should probably do. I've watched all the vids out there and still can't get the timing. I'm hoping It'll just click one day.
I have a Buddy Lee Aero Speed Rope (I had money left over in my Paypal so I did not mind spending it). However, quite a few of the guys have the Again Faster Ultra Speed Ropes. Great rope for $14. WFS http://www.againfaster.com/jump-ropes/
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Buddy Lee's video made a lot of sense to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXovowbMsLE
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #20
CJ Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Buddy Lee's video made a lot of sense to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXovowbMsLE
This. They really need to bring back the Jump Rope Cert.