CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #21
Stephen Flamm

Profile:
Re: What exercises aren't part of crossfit programming, but you think should be?

After giving it a little bit of thought, I think the absence of very short sprints, like 40m, is because they are incredibly difficult to time accurately. Without measurability, gauging improvement is difficult. So this might explain why the main site doesn't post something like 8 reps of 40m sprint with full recovery, though that would indeed be a worthwhile WOD. The timing errors would be too great a percentage of the total times to make the measurement very meaningful.

So, if you want to sprint, do it. I add short sprints in a few times a month, and will sometimes create metcons such as AMRAP in 10 minutes of 10 PUs and 120 yard sprints, going back and forth in between goal posts on a football field.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #22
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:
Re: What exercises aren't part of crossfit programming, but you think should be?

I'd like to see some swimming. Of course, I don't have a pool at my new place, so I can't do it now anyway.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #23
Richard Doughty

Profile:

tire flipping

even though i dont have a tire
i wish i did
Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #24
Patrick Janes

Profile:

the performance menu WOD incorporates shorter sprints; but they focus more on strength/power, in general.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #25
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Short sprints (~100m) would be hard to implement on main page WODs. The way I see it, there are a couple of factors:

1. They are too difficult to time accurately. The margin of error that results from human reflexes can mean a significant amount in short sprints. And that's assuming you have someone to time you. Timing yourself sprinting just makes it even more unreliable. This is different from self-timing a 400m since .5 seconds means a world of difference at 100m but relatively little at 400+ meters.

2. Working them into a circuit is difficult, since your time in the circuit will greatly benefit if you don't sprint the 100 meters. If an all-out 100 meter sprint takes you 12 seconds and leaves you puking afterwards, you can cover the same distance in, say, 16 seconds and have a lot more energy to do whatever is left in the circuit.

I do short sprints and I enjoy them. But I think it should be a personal addition and not something mandated by the main page due to the logistical difficulties.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #26
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Wow, good thread.

Tire Slams (i.e. hitting a tire with a sledgehammer)
Prowler pushes

Both of the above should be accompanied by Conan music.

howard
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #27
Tom Lanning

Profile:

I,m thinking 1/3 body weight rucksack and boots do 100m vert up and down for time. stairs or hill

1/2 body weight ruck from the ground to on your back standing 50 for time
either pick it up and put it on standing or put it on and stand up.

that should suck real fun

CHIMO
Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #28
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

bear crawl and crab walks, ball slams, pull-ups
Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #29
Shane Skowron

Profile:

• Some sort of hurdles - they are very functional.
  • Bar or wall muscle-ups
  • One-armed pushups
  • Mountain-climbers
  • L-dips (on rings or bar)
Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #30
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
I just googled "shrimping" and I don't think aything I saw is what you meant...

What is it?
It's a Judo or Jujitsu drill that works the core. Pretty tiring if you put in the intensity.

Here's a good link to demonstrate a backwards shrimp or ebi: http://jiu-jitsusensei.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-do-shrimping-drills-and-why.htmlPLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-03-2008 at 07:10 AM.