CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Dustin Knight

Profile:
Globo-Gym vs. CrossFit

I recently had a post on my facebook from a dude promoting his brand of fitness and here it is:

"I think everyone agrees that doing Olympic lifts is the best way to develop strength power and explosiveness but people get hurt during the deceleration phase and it is impossible to push yourself to the limits or truly explode with the wei...ght because you have to reserve energy to catch it in this dangerous deceleration phase on the way down. Just imagine the cardio you could build if you could push yourself to the limit with olympic lifts 100% and just throw the weight up over your head and not worry about it coming down on you. Oh wait you can with CORMAX!!!!!! Don't believe me? Come try it out for FREE. Decide for yourself. http://www.facebook.com/MaxTraining"

I tactfully invited him and any other athletes from his gym to a friendly competition. Comments, suggestions, gripes, or complaints?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Globo-Gym vs. CrossFit

Why do people who do Crossfit feel the need to challenge anyone to a workout competition that is happy with their workout just because it's not Crossfit? Or anyone that is using a system that is not Crossfit?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Why do people who do Crossfit feel the need to challenge anyone to a workout competition that is happy with their workout just because it's not Crossfit? Or anyone that is using a system that is not Crossfit?
It's fun.

- Mark
Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Matt Payne

Profile:

Yeah I don't get why anyone would bother to challenge him. What would this really prove? And if he was to prevail victorious would you post this on this board after?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Dustin Knight

Profile:

Doesn't Coach Glassman do the same thing? If someone is preaching another method of training, it gets challenged by CrossFitters. It's not a sword fight, just a friendly comp to see if our training is lacking somewhere. Why is there a CrossFit Games? Because we compete. We compete everyday, during every workout. Against my buddies, against the clock, I compete. I don't think that I'm alone in this. That's why I issued the challenge. If there's a better program out there than CrossFit, I want to know about it. Simple. And I will indeed inform anyone who's interested in the results of our local games.

Last edited by Dustin Knight : 02-03-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

It just makes Crossfitters look like they have some sort of inferiority complex regarding other training programs.
It's like someone is saying their program is good and the Crossfitter is in the corner hunched over like Gollum saying "How dare he put down myyyyyy precious."
Old 02-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Chad Anderson

Profile:

Like most things in life: It's really all about the approach.

Nothing wrong with friendly competition, it just needs to stay that way. No matter the outcome.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
It just makes Crossfitters look like they have some sort of inferiority complex regarding other training programs. It's like someone is saying their program is good and the Crossfitter is in the corner hunched over like Gollum saying "How dare he put down myyyyyy precious."
+1 for Jason
-3 charisma points for the knight
Roll the 20-side die again, please.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Craig Rogers

Profile:

I think any form of competition can be fun. A hard fought won is a cause to celebrate and a hard fought loss is motivation to win the next time.
Why do any 2 teams compete.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Knight View Post
Doesn't Coach Glassman do the same thing? If someone is preaching another method of training, it gets challenged by CrossFitters. It's not a sword fight, just a friendly comp to see if our training is lacking somewhere. Why is there a CrossFit Games? Because we compete. We compete everyday, during every workout. Against my buddies, against the clock, I compete. I don't think that I'm alone in this. That's why I issued the challenge. If there's a better program out there than CrossFit, I want to know about it. Simple. And I will indeed inform anyone who's interested in the results of our local games.
That doesn't mean it's right, or a smart thing to do without making yourself look like an idiot. What's the point of challenging someone to beat you in something they don't care about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Rogers View Post
I think any form of competition can be fun. A hard fought won is a cause to celebrate and a hard fought loss is motivation to win the next time.
Why do any 2 teams compete.
Two teams compete because they're members of the same league that play the same sport with the same rules. The Argentinian rhythmic gymnastics team can claim they're "elite" all they want and challenge the Lakers to compete against them, but all the Lakers are going to do is point to their trophy case full of NBA titles.

I'm more confused by how the OP's friend thinks you can build insane "cardio" by just throwing the weight overhead and not having to worry about receiving it correctly. If that's all he's worried about, he could just do clean pulls. Then there's the pesky little fact that 1RM-type Oly lifts aren't known for building cardio capacity, they're known for working you in the phosphagenic pathway and developing high peak power outputs.