CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:
Re: Sectionals Held Online- Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Binek View Post
Yea - for a garage crossfitter it is even worse. I worked my *** off this year in prep for sectionals, now I'm kinda in the whats the point crew. If it is going to be a 6 week long thing with like 5 -10 stupid little couplets that are chosen because they can easily be grade-able on video that takes all the fun out of it for me. Plus I go to school, have a job, am in the Reserves, taking one weekend out for sectionals was an easy and fun change of pace, with new hard and different workouts...but spending 6 weeks worrying about re-submitting, getting all the workouts done with good video, good form, a proper timer and lighting (my garage is dim in the winter, videos come out awful) just isn't worth my time. I will wait to see the format I guess, but more than likely I will not compete on principle...The whole affiliate thing seems weird to me, sectionals worked well because it had a kind of "neutral field" feel to it, with unknown judges etc. If you get people in their own box, with their own weights, and their trainers as judges, **** is gonna be messed up big time....again I will wait to see the final format, but my initial reaction is that this is the stupidest thing ever. What if one of the workouts is "Randy" and you do 74/75 snatches perfectly, post a 2minute time...do they say that it fails because one rep wasn't locked out? Yet you still beat the next guy by a whole minute, not like you couldn't re-do that rep in that minute?....stupid.
Everything that he said applies for me... this idea really killed it for me. I work out in a crappy gym at school so, even if I killed every WOD there is a chance I would get caught up waiting on someone for a pull up bar, barbell, etc... Sucks.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

I'm sure it can still be fun as those events can be held inside an affiliate. It's an opportunity for them to organize maybe a weekend the way THEY like it, and throw down.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well at a sectional you get one chance to do it and you're competing against others. It really tests your guts and mettle especially if you screw up on a movement and you have to come from behind to win.

If you're filming it in your affiliate and you screw up you can just say "Stop the tape!" wait until you recover and start over.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #14
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

I think it is a good idea. Initially I was ****ed because I did the sectionals last year and would like to do them again this year. However I think that the sectionals need to be reserved for the serious athletes at this point. For anyone that was there will know what I mean.

Especially with all of the throw downs popping up it isn't like you can't compete in front of a crowd. For example Next Level Performance has had to events, and my old gym UTC Crossfit in Corona are holding a event this January. For the sport to grow this is necessary.

I would say for all of the people that say they wouldn't compete now because of the new format. If that is enough to stop you from competing then you weren't ready in the first place. This is a competition not a fun run.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

The pro's of this is that we'll have standardized events at the Sectionals.

There were some wacky events that came up last year and I believe the programming was left up to the affiliates.
The deadlift event fiasco as well at the East Canada Regional in '09 occurred because of this. (before my time, but I've heard about it)

Still going to miss that competition weekend feeling but who knows.....maybe they'll come up with something cool. We don't have all the info yet.
For those working out of a garage/globo just make sure you get to an affiliate to do the events. I went through sectionals and regionals without having been to an affiliate last year so it can be done.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee Sattro View Post
I think it is a good idea. Initially I was ****ed because I did the sectionals last year and would like to do them again this year. However I think that the sectionals need to be reserved for the serious athletes at this point. For anyone that was there will know what I mean.

Especially with all of the throw downs popping up it isn't like you can't compete in front of a crowd. For example Next Level Performance has had to events, and my old gym UTC Crossfit in Corona are holding a event this January. For the sport to grow this is necessary.

I would say for all of the people that say they wouldn't compete now because of the new format. If that is enough to stop you from competing then you weren't ready in the first place. This is a competition not a fun run.
Completely agree.

The bottom line is that the games change every year. This year half the community went all manic chicken little about the games not being at the ranch. Before that a lot of people got up in arms about the extra layer of competitive qualification (sectionals). Before that there was mass hysteria about the need to qualify for the games at all.

Sectionals this year were bigger than the first year's games. Aside from change, the only other constant is that the games gets better every year.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

I definitely with the idea of that the competition shouldn't be a fun run type thing but, it does kind of alienate the globo/garage gym-ers. I would have really liked to compete (I've been working all year for it and have recently been doing great) but I dunno if will be able to now since I go to school during the time sectionals occur and there are no boxes around here and certainly not enough equipment.

No matter what, I'll try hard to get those wods in but, it does alienate some people by doing it as an online qualifier.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #18
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
there are no boxes around here
Just trying to be helpful: Hammer Down, Breakaway CF Herndon and CF Manassas are within a few miles of Centerville.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Yeah, I know. I go to Hammerdown occasionally.... but! I go to school in Harrisonburg, VA... There used to be a gym here but, went out of business...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Gotcha, sorry to hear that. Well once more info comes out on the mechanics of the hosting process we'll probably be having a qualifier at our box. If you can make it up to halfway between DC and Balmer you're more than welcome to join us. If you can't make that date then feel free to come up and we'll help you film a submission.