CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:
knee stability

I'm 48 and I've been crossfitting for 3 years and I have crunchy knees. They sound awful but they don't hurt that much except for some jumpers knee in the left knee. Sometimes I have problems with knee stability. I just can't seem to stay still on the way down and on the way back up and it feels like I'm gonna fall. I think it happens more when I don't warm up enough. I was trying to do some squats last night (actually the Wendler deload) and I simply couldn't do it. Backed off, did some air squats (which were hard) and it still didn't work out so I dropped it. When I go to the box and get the prescribed warm up I don't have this problem. I figured as long as I was wearing my Rehband knee sleeves I should be okay, and I had them on 30 minutes prior to lifting. So is not physically warming up the problem?
Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
Re: knee stability

David, do you have any video of yourself lifting?

You might be missing some internal hip rotation. Look for the hip capsule mobility on Kelly Starett's MobilityWOD. It's a good place to start mobility-wise. Your gym's warmup probably hits those positions that you miss when you don't warm up.

As far as the movement goes, it sounds like you have a midline stability problem. Try this test out: can you do a super-slow, strict knees to elbows? If not, you are missing the midline strength to support pulling. Carl Paoli has a lot of great fixes for this.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #3
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Good advice above.

After you fix this problem, I'd probably do some 1 legged goblet squats. They helped a ton with my knee stability.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:44 AM   #4
Alex Burden

Profile:

This sounds a little like what my youngest son has (he is 17)

After an MRI of his knee and a trip to the orthopaedist last week we have finally an answer to his problems.

He has a slight inflammation on the outside of his knee and he can't do squats or anything and his knee crunches too.

So the orthopaedist said was that he has an imbalance in the strength of his quads which is resulting in the outer quad (vastus extremus) which is very strong in my son pulling the patella to one side. This is also pulling on the rectus femorus which is giving him pain. The pull on the patella is not much but enough to cause friction and the cruchy feel.

He has been told not to play any sports that require quick movements, soccer , basket, tennis no running, no box jumps and so on. He has to go to a physiotherapist to help him build up a better balance of his quads and the balance of the quads will increase and bring back his stability of the patella.

We have a time booked for 2 weeks so we will find out what he needs to start to work on. The important thing was that he needs to work out otherwise this will only get worse.

This might be what you are suffering from!

Last edited by Alex Burden; 11-23-2015 at 02:58 AM..
Old 11-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sinagoga View Post
As far as the movement goes, it sounds like you have a midline stability problem. Try this test out: can you do a super-slow, strict knees to elbows? If not, you are missing the midline strength to support pulling. Carl Paoli has a lot of great fixes for this.
I can do the slow knees to elbows squat but I'll check the Mobility WOD exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hanover View Post
After you fix this problem, I'd probably do some 1 legged goblet squats. They helped a ton with my knee stability.
I need to check this out. Not sure I can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
He has been told not to play any sports that require quick movements, soccer , basket, tennis no running, no box jumps and so on. He has to go to a physiotherapist to help him build up a better balance of his quads and the balance of the quads will increase and bring back his stability of the patella.

We have a time booked for 2 weeks so we will find out what he needs to start to work on. The important thing was that he needs to work out otherwise this will only get worse.

This might be what you are suffering from!
I had a similar diagnosis when I was 16. I wonder if this problem has stuck with me this long. Thanks.