CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:
knee stability

I have trouble doing lunges and box steps. Feels like my knee is gonna give on the outside of the knee, mostly on the right knee but the left does it too. I have no problems with box jumps or any kind of squats or lifts, just lunges. I have noticeable inflammation in the right knee as well. What does this sound like?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:
Re: knee stability

Sounds like the standard advice applies.

Don't do lunges for a while.
See if it acts up again after you start using it.
See a doctor if it does.

(and don't take medical advice from people on the internet. )
Old 03-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz Berkowitz View Post
Sounds like the standard advice applies.

Don't do lunges for a while.
See if it acts up again after you start using it.
See a doctor if it does.

(and don't take medical advice from people on the internet. )
Old 03-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Michael Hollister

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnes Langston Jr View Post
I have trouble doing lunges and box steps. Feels like my knee is gonna give on the outside of the knee, mostly on the right knee but the left does it too. I have no problems with box jumps or any kind of squats or lifts, just lunges. I have noticeable inflammation in the right knee as well. What does this sound like?
David,

This sounds like it could be a case of poor alignment, causing your knee(s) to want to buckle somewhat inward during lunges/box steps. Your knees should want to bend directly out over your feet/ankles. If they trend inward, it seems to makes sense that things would feel unstable, and it would cause unnecessary wear on some ligaments/tendons and cause inflammation.

Do you happen to have any lower back pain too? How are the arches on your feet? What about your posture overall? One good test is to close your eyes, march in place for a few steps, so you get to a natural standing position, then open your eyes and look at your feet. Are your feet perfectly parallel, or are one/both everted?

The reason I ask is I had pain and instability too (in my shoulder) and found out that poor alignment in my hips from working a desk job was throwing my shoulders out of whack and causing pain.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hollister View Post
David,

This sounds like it could be a case of poor alignment, causing your knee(s) to want to buckle somewhat inward during lunges/box steps. Your knees should want to bend directly out over your feet/ankles. If they trend inward, it seems to makes sense that things would feel unstable, and it would cause unnecessary wear on some ligaments/tendons and cause inflammation.

Do you happen to have any lower back pain too? How are the arches on your feet? What about your posture overall? One good test is to close your eyes, march in place for a few steps, so you get to a natural standing position, then open your eyes and look at your feet. Are your feet perfectly parallel, or are one/both everted?

The reason I ask is I had pain and instability too (in my shoulder) and found out that poor alignment in my hips from working a desk job was throwing my shoulders out of whack and causing pain.
My feet are flat and tend to evert. I have consciously over the years walked pigeon-toed because I don't like the knock-kneed look. I imagine this sounds very odd. I have an orthopedic doctor appointment this morning so I hope to find out something then. I agree with your assessment.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
Michael Hollister

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnes Langston Jr View Post
My feet are flat and tend to evert. I have consciously over the years walked pigeon-toed because I don't like the knock-kneed look. I imagine this sounds very odd. I have an orthopedic doctor appointment this morning so I hope to find out something then. I agree with your assessment.
David,

I had the same problem. Flat and everted feet. Itís not supposed to be that way and itís fixable (regaining your arch naturally and rotating the feet, tibia, and femur back to neutral). And the fact that you consciously walk pigeon-toed may sound odd to some but makes sense to me. That gait more closely resembles functional movement and is an attempt to restore alignment.

Did you find anything out from your doctor this morning?

The reason I ask is, I am working with a team in Boulder, CO to spread the word about a solution to this misalignment issue. Itís a self-therapy technique that got me back in the box pain-free after my shoulder and neck injuries, and literally got my friend out of a wheelchair and CrossFitting again. It restores functional alignment to correct dysfunctions in posture like you and I have experienced--wherever these dysfunctions may manifest. It's similar to Kelly Starrett's MobilityWOD, but focuses on the body as a unit to solve pain and alignment issues.

Would you be open to talking more one-on-one? You can e-mail me at PostureWOD@gmail.com.