CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Jose M. Perez

Profile:
Re: 5k run help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan A Wood View Post
Hey thanks guys for the input it did help sorry about the mistake I felt really stupid afterwards. I really wanted to just erase the post after I found that out so no one else would have to waste their time reading it.
I did have some questions though about some of the advice.

First Ted the P.O.S.E. you were talking about I have heard of it before but I dont know what it is. Where can get some more info about it.

Also the longer intervals I thought of that to but how many are we talking about. What I do now is sprint 400 meters 8 times w/ 1 min rest. Would 800 meters 5 to 8 times be better and if so long should I do the rests. Mabey 2 mins instead of 1 min

Anyways thanks for the advice and also kinda random but is 38 mins decent for a 5 mile or slow?
That's 7.6 mins per mile. That's about 2 miles in 15 minutes or 3 miles in 22.8 minutes. Elite marathoners run at a pace of about 1 mile every 5 minutes. So you're running at a decent pace.

If you're doing quarter-mile sprints with only a 1 minute rest, your're killing yourself. That's like squatting 1 rep maxes with a 45 second rest. Increase your rest time to 3 or 4 minutes.

For more info on the POSE method, start with the Exercises & Demos link on the main page.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #12
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose M. Perez View Post
If you're doing quarter-mile sprints with only a 1 minute rest, your're killing yourself. That's like squatting 1 rep maxes with a 45 second rest. Increase your rest time to 3 or 4 minutes.
Not true. Quarter mile sprints with minimal rest are extremely effective for building endurance. Have you seen the Crossfit Endurance program? That protocol will not work for building maximal speed, but that shouldn't be the issue if he's training to improve a 5k.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
Charlie Crist

Profile:

A good training technique to help impove your sprint time and overall running performance is to run what I call 9's. I use a measured 1 mile route, either track or open road, and give myself 9 minutes to run a mile and rest. What I mean is that if I run a mile in say 7 minutes I have 2 minutes to rest before my next mile. You can use your own time standards of course and decrease as you improve.

Also, if you have access to a trail that has a few descent hills mixed with some flat terrain you can pick a pace you can maintain for a while and when you hit the hill try to sprint up it. Once you reach the top slow back to your original pace.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
Jonathan A Wood

Profile:

Charlie I like the idea you gave me the only thing is how many times should I do this for it to be truly effective? What I was thinking was do 4 sets b/c if I would like to improve my 5k I think if I go alittle further on the training 4 sets would be 4 miles the when the 5k comes again mentality I would think ok this only 3.6 this will be easy or am I wrong?

Jose the only thing is if I give my self anymore of a rest I dont feel like I'm pushing hard enough it seems almost to easy.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan A Wood View Post
Charlie I like the idea you gave me the only thing is how many times should I do this for it to be truly effective? What I was thinking was do 4 sets b/c if I would like to improve my 5k I think if I go alittle further on the training 4 sets would be 4 miles the when the 5k comes again mentality I would think ok this only 3.6 this will be easy or am I wrong?

Jose the only thing is if I give my self anymore of a rest I dont feel like I'm pushing hard enough it seems almost to easy.
Again,5k is 3.1, not 3.6.

You really don't need to be doing 4x1 mile repeats to train for a 5k. It'll help, but it can be just as effective to do 2x1 mile or even just a 2 mile TT.

Truth be told, you probably don't even need to ever do more than 3.1 miles to be able to get a really good 5k time, like sub-20.

Since we're doing Crossfit, we try to keep volume minimal and performance high.

Think about it in Crossfit terms. How do you improve your Murph time? By doing double Murphs? How do you improve your Fran time? By doing Fran with another set of pullups? By doing triple Frans? That's a resounding no.

Same for running.

Speed up the small components and the rest will fall into place. Get better at your 400m, and your mile will improve naturally. Get better at your mile, and your 2 mile will improve naturally, Get better at the 2 mile and the 5k will improve naturally.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #16
John Otterstedt

Profile:

I am coming to this thread a bit late, but I thought that I would resurrect it. I am setting out to improve my 5K time and have begun to add in some CrossFit Endurance type elements to my regular CrossFitting. My main issue is time, as I don't often have opportunities to separate my running and CrossFit by 3 hours. All too often, I just go from one to the next, or I do the running on the CrossFit rest day.

What I think CrossFit Endurance is missing is a list of people who have made significant progress using it. I know that it is new, but when the message board on that site gets going and more people start to congregate there, I hope to see more and more people post about their progress. That would be fun, educational, and motivational to read.

As for me, I have been running on and off since high school (I am 35) and took up CrossFit and running again in June. In early June, I could barely run 3 miles. By July, after doing CrossFit and a REALLY poor modified version of CFE for a month, I was down to 23 minutes on the 5K. My goal is to go below 20 minutes, which is something that I was never able to do in a race 10 years ago when I was logging many more miles on the road. If I can get there 10 years later while only putting in a few miles per week on the road, I will be a true CrossFit Endurance convert.

I started a thread on the CrossFit Endurance forum for people interested in improving their 5K's. If anyone wants to discuss their progress and encourage one another, either post there or here.