CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Rick Sieminski

Profile:
New to this method, would like advise

I have been lifting for 25yrs, and for the past 6, I've been using HIT style training. I've been thinking lately how I'd like to train more naturally (pushups, pull ups, dips, rope climb, etc.) More useful muscle, and I might be able to get my son into it if it's more interesting than pushing up iron.

I see the WOD changes everyday. Just getting into this, can some one recommend 5 WOD's that I can do, with the equipment that I have, that will work my whole body, and get me started into this type of training. I'll do the same workouts every week for 4-6wks, and that will help get me adapted to this style of training.

I have: squat rack, smith machine, pull up/leg raise/dip stand, benches, lat machine. No rope climb, or rings at this time.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Richard Doughty

Profile:
Re: New to this method, would like advise

you can just follow the work out of the day each day 3 on 1 off
you have basically everything i have
when rings or rope come up i find a sub
Old 12-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Phoenix WOD

Chop wood, five cords for time
Start fire
Melt SMith machine into something useful.

Just follow the mainpage and sub as necessary, you might want to cheack out brandx for scaled workouts.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Sell the smith and lat machine and buy a rope and rings.

Follow the CF WOD. There's no reason to prepare by doing only workouts you are comfortable with, unless you are a *****. That completely defeats the purpose of CrossFit.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Rick Sieminski

Profile:

Okeedokie. No, no ***** here. I thought doing the same exercises, the basics, for 4-6 weeks I could work on proper form, before I went balls to the wall, with the WOD. I will get a rope soon, and rings to follow.

Maybe the smith machine, but never the lat machine. I do use it when I have no spotter. The lat machine is very versatile, and I have gained a ton of strength from it over the years.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Is this all you do? Working out for this short, but intense period of time will produce consistent results?

Last edited by Rick Sieminski : 12-18-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Mistype
Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Yes and no.

If you're starting from a good base of overall strength, this program will augment it will, if you are fairly detrained, I have found specific work on the side helps immensely. It would be helpful to know what sort of lifting you have been doing. If you really want to do just some basic WODs at first to train yourself up, I suggest getting very good at pullups and the squat, being strong in those two things will translate well into most of the WODs, a good squat will build a good clean. Other lifts that will come in handy are the simple ones; deadlift and overhead press, do these heavy at low reps, then lower the weight and do high reps of push-press and push jerk. Learn to do those movements with good form and effficiently. But again, squatting and pullups. I reccomend installing a real, simple pullup bar and not using the station, get a bar that you can hang out in the open and learn the kip. If you have questions about any of the things I mentioned above, run a search on this board, or consult the FAQ page on the crossfit main site.

If I had to choose 5 WODs to do, I would do:

Fran
Murph
Linda
Fight Gone bad (or the filthy fifty)
Grace

In addition to those, I would work strong lifts in the:
Squat
deadlift
overhead press
Clean and Jerk

then I would do basic work trying to just learn to do the following at all:
Snatch
Muscle up
handstand pushup(s)
(these I reccomend training extremely slowly, because I believe they are movements best learned through a coach, so you want to be very careful)

That being said, no one is going to tell you the same 5 workouts, so asking for advice like that on here is probably going to come out just confusing you, everyone will choose a different five WODs simply because there are so many of them, and there are so many useful movements used in many effective combinations (this is why they change it up so much to begin with). Again though, if you're looking to simplify and just train a good base of movements, the above is what I think is best.

And I don't know you well enough to begin calling you a *****, so take things like that with a grain of salt around here.

I somewhat agree with you on the lat pulldown machine... but only until you've learned to do a good set of pullups, then it isn't that useful. A pullup will work all the same back, lat and arm muscle groups in addition to working the core as well, something a lat pulldown won't do. A pullup is more functional, if you can do them. I can say with confidence as well that a lat pulldown will never help you train a muscle up.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Justin Gross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sieminski View Post
Working out for this short, but intense period of time will produce consistent results?
Not necessarily, but consistantly following the WOD with proper recovery will.
It's important to remember that CF is not about individual workouts, it's a program of constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity.

Many of us have equipment limitations. But if you simply cherrypick a few workouts you will not achieve the results that CF was designed to produce. If you've got a good baseline of strength, I'd recommend following the main page WOD as closely as possible for a month and watch what happens.

But first, read the faq's (wfs):

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html

Last edited by Justin Gross : 12-18-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Rick Sieminski

Profile:

I have been lifting for a good 25 yrs, and High Intensity Training style for the past 6 or so. Heavy compound movements, with heavy emphasis on Clean and Jerk, Squat, Bench Press, Lat pulldowns, and military press, secondary emphasis was on bi's and tri's, with really no isolation work. I have a strong base. I'm 245 at around 8% bf, still I don't know if I'm up for the intensity that the guys in the videos can put out. I think I understand the CF principal, of whole body training, and really can't be doing Cf with just a few exercises. Maybe I'll hobble along, until I get enough neural adaptation, and all the equipment for a dedicated effort.
I will look into setting up a simple pullup bar.

What's the avg time for completing a WOD(prob different for each one). Where will I find competitive times for each, so I can judge where I'm at.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Is this all you do? Working out for this short, but intense period of time will produce consistent results?
There was a recent good thread on this (wfs):
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39518

Quote:

What's the avg time for completing a WOD(prob different for each one). Where will I find competitive times for each, so I can judge where I'm at.
Workout standards (wfs)
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39256
Old 12-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Phoenix WOD

Chop wood, five cords for time
Start fire
Melt SMith machine into something useful.

Just follow the mainpage and sub as necessary, you might want to cheack out brandx for scaled workouts.
So true...what would you make, Jamie?