CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Alan Bishop

Profile:
Girls "Barbara" WOD

I have gone through Barbara a few times and always feel like the rest time is ruining the WOD for me. Don't get me wrong I love the workout and enjoy the range of motion. For today's workout I decided to try 'Barbara" with a bit of a twist and VIOLA... "Breathless Barbara" was born and I loved the results.

Breathless Barbara
5 Rounds for time
20 Pull ups, 30 Push Ups, 40 Sit Ups, 50 Squats - 3 Min Rest
20 Pull ups, 30 Push Ups, 40 Sit Ups, 50 Squats - 2 Min Rest
20 Pull ups, 30 Push Ups, 40 Sit Ups, 50 Squats - 1 Min Rest
20 Pull ups, 30 Push Ups, 40 Sit Ups, 50 Squats - No Rest
20 Pull ups, 30 Push Ups, 40 Sit Ups, 50 Squats - collapse
Time:26:43:12

Be interested to hear what people think about the variation.
Cheers,
Alan
Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Daniel Sonsini

Profile:
Re: Girls "Barbara" WOD

Did you meet Pukie??
Awesome variation. I always feel Pukie coming in the 3rd rd with 3min rest!!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Alan Bishop

Profile:

Haha.. didn't meet "Pukie" but one of the guys I train sure was thinking about introducing himself...
Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Mix it up if you wish, but the rest is mandatory for a good reason - it allows you to go at each round with full intensity. Think of it almost like a max effort squat day. If the WOD is "Back squat, 3-3-3-3-3", you would certainly take a few minutes in between each set of three in order to produce the best efforts for each set. Perhaps a better comparison is the 4 x 800m run WOD, which asks for all-out efforts with full recovery after each. Yes, you could eliminate the rest periods, but then you'd simply have a 3200m run. Nothing wrong with that, but not nearly the same WOD.

For me, the mandatory rest makes "Barbara" tougher because I have no reason/need to pace. Tabata Something Else and Fight Gone Bad are difficult for the very same reason. So tweak it however you'd like, but understand that this will lead to a different adaptation.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Steven Ngo

Profile:

you know, i just noticed something -- the Barbara in the FAQ is written slightly different than when it's written as a WOD on the main page.

In the FAQ it's simply "5 rounds for time", and that would appear as Barbara is for total time of all 5 rounds. Whereas when it's on the main page it's more detailed as "Five rounds, each for time..." and "Rest precisely three minutes between each round."

I can see now how that can get confusing. was Barbara changed sometime down the line?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Harry Palley

Profile:

Barbara is arguably my most feared WOD. I am crippled at the end of the WOD, and I don't feel up to even driving for at least 30 minutes afterwards. I have to struggle to be coherent. Absolutely crushing.

Barbara to me is one of the best examples of intensity in CrossFit. When done right, you'll realize that its a masterpiece. The last time it came around, I decided to go for CTB pullups... took away from my pushup strength, slowing my time and reducing my intensity. I did not find that total body exhaustion I felt with perscribed Barbara. As Rx'd, Barbara is a thing of beauty.