CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Om Puri

Profile:
Oly shoes for LBBS?

Are Oly shoes good for LBBS?

The raised heel would take some stress off the lower back by making the squatter a bit more upright (not quite as far leaning forward, right?) Is that upright position better leverage? Reducing risk of injury to lower back?

Thanks.

I'm assuming Oly shoes are perfect for HBBS & FS & PC & all Oly movements.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Ben Orga

Profile:
Re: Oly shoes for LBBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Puri View Post
Are Oly shoes good for LBBS?

The raised heel would take some stress off the lower back by making the squatter a bit more upright (not quite as far leaning forward, right?) Is that upright position better leverage? Reducing risk of injury to lower back?

Thanks.

I'm assuming Oly shoes are perfect for HBBS & FS & PC & all Oly movements.
Weightlifting shoes are great for all squats. They not only allow for more flexibility of the ankles, but good shoes (Not Reeboks) will also provide a rigid footbox for your foot to push against and prevent against pronation and supination in the various positions.

Heres how you prevent a lower back injury. Warmup, learn to squat properly, and stretch your hamstrings.

Get away from LBBS. Stick with HBBS. Much more carryover in all lifts, google the vs. if you have any questions about it. There are a million articles about both.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

It depends on your leverages and squat stance.

If you are folded over at the bottom and have trouble hitting depth, widen your stance and/or lift in Oly shoes.

If you're not at risk for back injury/re-injury, you shouldn't think about injuring your low back because you're squatting with a forward lean. Google 'nocebo effect'.

I remember reading that the current trend among the top lifters at IPF Worlds is to squat in specialized squat shoes that are flat. I searched all over, but I can't find the thread. I think Oly shoes were popular a few years ago.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Orga View Post
Get away from LBBS. Stick with HBBS. Much more carryover in all lifts, google the vs. if you have any questions about it. There are a million articles about both.
Umm, not really. If your goal is to get overall stronger, then LBBS is superior. If you're going to be focusing on getting stronger only in the olympic lifts, then mixing in high bar and front squat along with low bar will be a better decision.

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 08-28-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Om Puri

Profile:

Thanks for your responses, guys.

I tired LBBS with a couple of 2.5 # plates under my heels & found that it did help keeping me a bit more upright - I wasn't as folded over, less stress on my back... not that my lower back is weak, but I think I have a shorter torso than my legs, so I tend to fold over a lot when LBBS. So I've ordered some Oly shoes. I FS once a week as well, so I can use them for that too.

In terms of finding a million articles searching for "LBBS vs HBBS", I found only one link (it was a crossfit forum discussion from last year which wasn't very extensive, no conclusion was reached, not enough evidence...)

There seems to be no agreement on this.

Thoughts?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

I'm not a fan of them, i prefer flats. I wear flats when lbbs and deadlifting. Part of this will depend on your dimensions and flexibility/mobility. If you need your heels elevated then its either ankle or hip.

HBBS, Front squatting or oly lifting then i'll wear the oly shoes.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Puri View Post
Thanks for your responses, guys.

I tired LBBS with a couple of 2.5 # plates under my heels & found that it did help keeping me a bit more upright - I wasn't as folded over, less stress on my back... not that my lower back is weak, but I think I have a shorter torso than my legs, so I tend to fold over a lot when LBBS. So I've ordered some Oly shoes. I FS once a week as well, so I can use them for that too.

In terms of finding a million articles searching for "LBBS vs HBBS", I found only one link (it was a crossfit forum discussion from last year which wasn't very extensive, no conclusion was reached, not enough evidence...)

There seems to be no agreement on this.

Thoughts?
http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-b...bar-squatting/ Probably not WFS due to some cursing.

That is extremely well written article that will help you decide which version
you want to do.

There's lots to read, you have to click "Show" to show each section.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-b...bar-squatting/ Probably not WFS due to some cursing.

That is extremely well written article that will help you decide which version
you want to do.

There's lots to read, you have to click "Show" to show each section.
Thanks, Michael. Excellent link on HBBS vs LBBS. But still no verdict on weather or not to use Oly shoes for LBBS.

I DL barefoot. But I think I will do LBBS & FS with Oly shoes.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Michael Kelley

Profile:

I was fortunate enough to attend an impromptu workshop given by a former world record squatter from Westside Barbell who recommended not using oly shoes when squatting. His rationale was (as I recall) that a flat foot would improve the ability to recruit glutes, groin, etc in the lift. A few days later, I skipped my usual oly shoes in my GSLP progression and used my fairly flat New Balance Minimus shoes, and found that my groin, glutes, and hammys were WAY more sore the next day. Yeah, I'm an n of 1, but that's all I can add.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Rogue used to sell some Rip shoes that used an elevated sole about half as high as an Oly shoe. I think they are no longer in stock. My friend who follows LBBS/SS bought a pair of Vs because I think they have a lower heel. If you dig around, you can probably find Rip's advice on squatting in a shoe with an elevated heel. It's in SS on page 60.

Michael, did that PLer use a typical PLer squat meaning he squatted wide? Did you use a wide stance when you tried squatting that way for your GSLP workout? Just curious.