CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
Elias D. Roman

Profile:
cfms and cffb wod

hey, i was just wondering is there any way that i can do the metcon from the ms and then also do the swod from cffb... i dont see whats wrong with it but then again im no level 1 cert
Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Re: cfms and cffb wod

The only problem I see with it is that the CFFB strength workouts are made to go in combination with the CFFB DWOD. For example, today's CFFB SWOD is front squats and GHE's and the DWOD is sprints. Today's mainsite WOD fits pretty well since it involves sprints (and some weights), but the off chance that it turns out to be something heavy in squats would be a bad idea to mix and match. I would say as long as the programming makes sense, go for it.

CONSTANTLY VARIED!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

Mainsite and CFFB WODs are designed for people following those specific programs- not mix and matching with other programs. Probably would not be beneficial to do both and just "expect" to get stronger/faster.

Do one or the other, or any other intelligently designed programming. Just mashing workouts together is not optimal.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Brent Blackburn

Profile:

I used to do the same thing where I would borrow from CFFB Strength WOD and do the mainsite but like others have said it will often not be a great match.

If you really like doing the mainsite WODs then maybe do your own linear progression (squat-DL-press) and mix in the Cf.com WODs. Personally, I found that I got the best results from following CFFB exactly even though I am not a football player. There is less variance in the CFFB wods but they are almost always shorter and often heavier which has helped me get stronger while maintaining a good conditioning level. Also, I have come to love CFFB's 2 days on 1 day off 3 days on 1 day off split because before I don't think I was resting enough.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Michael Zoda

Profile:

There are some MP wods that would be fine as a sub for the CFFB DWOD. Although remember, the main goal of CFFB is power and strength. When your talking about metcons, the most effective way to increase strength is short power based metcons that involve heavier weights. The longer metcons that can be found on crossfit MP can be counterproductive to the goal of putting on strength as fast as possible.

Use your judgement on what you want to sub. Most, if not all of the CFFB metcons are sub 20 minutes and usually involve heavy weights and short sprints. Once you start getting into chippers and long wods like Angie thats where you run into trouble.