CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Stuff I'd like to see in WODs

" various agility drills as well as speed drills into the warm up as well as the "movement" section."

Details please.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
The other problem with bag work in CF terms is that it is not easily measured. What do you do, max punches in a time interval? Five hundred punches for time? This will just encourage weak poorly executed punches. Punching bags can be good for conditioning, but they just don't fit into the CF modus operandi.
Replace "bag work" with "air squats" and the same reasoning applies if any exercise is "gamed" for a low time. If there is a trainer there and they see weak punches, then they don't count towards the total.

The fittest on the planet should be able to defend themselves in a martial context I believe.

Justin
Old 07-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #23
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Replace "bag work" with "air squats" and the same reasoning applies if any exercise is "gamed" for a low time"

Not really. Here the per rep intensity is defined (bw only) and the accepted definition of a squat is from standing to hips below parallel and back to standing. THe punch has beginning and ending, but you can't measure the impact of the punch, so it makes it hard to compare without someone else being there to judge.

If you have a trainer present, they can add in whatever they are comfortable coaching and will advanced their clients goals.

"The fittest on the planet should be able to defend themselves in a martial context I believe."

THen they need to go somewhere to learn how to do it. CF is not that place. You wouldn't go to your local dojo, wrestling team or boxing gym and ask to be coached on the clean.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #24
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Yeah, just because you're in shape doesn't mean you can take a punch to the face.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #25
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Yeah, just because you're in shape doesn't mean you can take a punch to the face.
Or throw a punch to another face. I have trained with people that were pretty big and strong, but could not coordinate their size and strength into a hard punch. There is more to hitting than just flailing around the arms and legs.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #26
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
The fittest on the planet should be able to defend themselves in a martial context I believe.
If so, then they'll need a lot more training than flailing at a heavy bag every now and then. The bag doesn't hit back.

Katherine
Old 07-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #27
William A Cantrell

Profile:

A drill I use for explosive power is attaching a resistance band to something behind me (currently a squat stand with with a plate on the bottom for weight) I then hold the resitance band and punch the bag. I do this for explosiveness with my punches and not an amount for time. With doing it this way though the band has the same resistance each time and you would be able to scale up or down depending on ones punching ability. Also will give you a mean straight punch. Also taking a small slam ball like a 2lb and launching it (baisically pushing it and letting it go into the bag) Is a good explosive conditioning exercise.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #28
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Replace "bag work" with "air squats" and the same reasoning applies if any exercise is "gamed" for a low time. If there is a trainer there and they see weak punches, then they don't count towards the total.

Justin
This is a great and very valid point....funny enough often overlooked I believe.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #29
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If so, then they'll need a lot more training than flailing at a heavy bag every now and then. The bag doesn't hit back.

Katherine
But while not sparring it would still be closer to "martial context" than cleans or chinups.

Justin
Old 07-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #30
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Quote:
But while not sparring it would still be closer to "martial context" than cleans or chinups.

Justin
let's add in some sparring! if I need to train in the OLY lifts then they need to spar darn it!