CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Eddy Ballester

Profile:
Gym & crossfit

wondering if anyone on this board splits there workout schedule between going to the gym and crossfitting.. Ive been crossfiting for a few months now but my work schedule changed and I will not be able to make it in the reg 4-5 days a week. starting next week i'll be able to make it maybe twice..
Looking for ways to incorporate both of them. any thoughts will be appreciated./

A little about myself, 6'1 180 lbs.. love crossfitting but its been very hard to put on some weight. soo for the next few months it wont hurt cutting the sweating in half and eating a little more until my schedule gets back to normal .. Started looking into the SS program and considering doing those Wods on my CF days..
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Tyler Schaeffer

Profile:
Re: Gym & crossfit

What do you mean by "going to the gym," and how is it different than crossfitting?
I am going to assume you mean doing just body building split lifting stuff at the gym and then crossfitting elsewhere? If that is the case, why not do crossfit type workouts at "the gym?"
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

What are your goals and what's your current fitness level? If you're a novice lifter who wants to get bigger and stronger, SS is one of the best ways to go. But don't add anything to it--no "SS+CF," no "SS plus I want to run 5 miles 3 times a week," etc. That's begging for overtraining and will get you minimal results from SS.

If you don't have regular access to a place that's friendly to CF-style workouts, do some kind of split where you do strength days at your regular gym then conditioning days whenever you have access to the equipment and space you need. Don't be "that CFer" who expects everyone in a 24 Hr Fitness to get out of his way and let him run back and forth between 5 different stations while inconveniencing everyone else.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Eddy Ballester

Profile:

the gym im working with is on the 8th floor of an apt building. my worry is not running into people . I'm limited to the equip. for instance theres a smith row machine in there so i cant imagine doing power snatches or thrusters.. roof is not high enough so wall balls are out the window. I can always sub workouts with dumbells but i dont think they get much heavier then 40 or 45... All in all, its not CF friendly. theres plenty machines, and just a few bars.

Im trying to keep is as cross-fit oriented as possible and take advantage of this time to "bulk up" a bit. I know i wont be running half as much now and thats makes all the difference in the world. Not sure if it makes any sense.
Ill probly try the SS program out and throw in a nasty wod every saturday..
Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Ryan Green

Profile:

I work out in a crowded gym and am rarely able to do mainsite programming due to lack of available equipment. I basically do the Stronglifts program and incorporate benchmark WODs after my strength work or on off days. It's ugly, but it's the best I can do until I join a box.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Ballester View Post
the gym im working with is on the 8th floor of an apt building. my worry is not running into people . I'm limited to the equip. for instance theres a smith row machine in there so i cant imagine doing power snatches or thrusters.. roof is not high enough so wall balls are out the window. I can always sub workouts with dumbells but i dont think they get much heavier then 40 or 45... All in all, its not CF friendly. theres plenty machines, and just a few bars.

Im trying to keep is as cross-fit oriented as possible and take advantage of this time to "bulk up" a bit. I know i wont be running half as much now and thats makes all the difference in the world. Not sure if it makes any sense.
Ill probly try the SS program out and throw in a nasty wod every saturday..
Do you have a real squat rack at the non-crossfit gym? Lots of people do SS and throw in a WOD every once in a while. That plus a lot of food and you'll bulk up.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

I do my strength stuff at 24hr Fitness during my lunch break (work a full time job) and CF at my affiliate. Fine for me...