CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Eddie Gulley

Profile:
Lynne and whether to scale or not

I am certain I can do Lynne as prescribed and most likely pull 10+ reps on the benchpress in the 1st round or so. I may weaken to less than 5 reps by the last round. Should I scale to get reps above 5 for each round? Same question applies to the Lynne plus back squats in tomorrow's WOD.

I will most likely only get 8 reps of pullups in the 1st round or so and quickly only pull 3 or so. Should I not go to failure on 1st round or so to get more throughout all rounds?

I'm assuming there is no rest restriction between exercises per round or between rounds except for the normal strength WOD guideline of 2-5 minutes between max efforts, correct?

All the help this community continues to provide to me and everyone else is very appreciated and definitely helps me along my journey. After all, it is the journey!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Stephen Flamm

Profile:
Re: Lynne and whether to scale or not

It might be a little late for you, but I'll throw in my advice for future reference. I think it's important on Lynne and today's WOD to go as rx'd, even if you're only managing to get single digits throughout. In an effort to game some of the WODs, we don't really go to failure a lot in CF, and even more rarely with the bench press and back squat (outside of the max effort days). Since you can bench your body weight and, I assume, back squat your body weight as well, do this as rx'd. If you absolutely feel the need to scale, I would cut rounds before weight on this.

In regards to resting, you are absolutely right - rest as long as you would like between ALL exercises and rounds. Ms. Lynne Pitts - the namesake of the Lynne WOD - has specified that as there is no time component, you should rest as long as you would like, within reason, to get the most reps possible each round and, obviously, in total. Not resting between exercises is certainly going to lower your performance, and besides that, turns this into an entirely different workout. Both are tough, but different animals altogether.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Wade Smith

Profile:

It's a strength workout. If you can do bodyweight, do bodyweight.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Eddie Gulley

Profile:

Thanks all. I didn't scale. Did Bodyweight and surprised myself. Got 6 plus reps on all lifts and pulled new PR on max PullUps (7) for three of the rounds. Definitely enjoying the strength WODs better than the MetCons. Not that I don't enjoy lying in a pool of sweat on my dirty garage floor but really feeling strong on the strengths.

GetItOn