CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Mark Pieciak

Profile:
Pelvic Tilt During Kettlebell Swing or Deadlift?

Hello guys and gals!

I wanted to get some insight on a question I have.. How much pelvic tilt should occur during a hip-hinge movement, such as deadlifting or kettlebell swinging?

I'm asking this because as I drop down into a hip-hinge, my pelvis tilts anteriorly a bit, and will tilt back posteriorly when I "pop" the glutes back up. It isn't really detectable visually, and my hip-hinge looks pretty damn good as I can keep my back locked, but I can feel it when I place my hand on my lower-back/pelvis.

Intuitively, it feels like too much movement, but according to Bret Contreras (WFS), the "Glute Guy", he says that a small amount of anterior tilt happens during descent, and a small amount of posterior tilt during ascent.

I've been stretching my psoas, rectus femoris, and illiacus like crazy but apparently nothing's changed. I got the idea from KStarr from his one video (WFS) about how a tight psoas can cause lumbar hyperextension during squats. Lumbar hyperextension and anterior pelvic tilt look similar to me.

Any thoughts, people? Should this be something to worry over or not?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Mark Pieciak

Profile:
Re: Pelvic Tilt During Kettlebell Swing or Deadlift?

Nothing, guys? Can anyone clarify whether or not pelvic tilt is normal during the hip hinge?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

It's probably normal, but nobody can tell you whether your form is good without a video.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Andrew Wiemken

Profile:

I started a response the day you posted, but couldn't quite create one I thought was suitably helpful and concise.

Basically, you're overthinking it, and there's probably no problem. You answer your own question when you say it looks pretty damn good and isn't visually detectable, and then you even back it up with corroboration from Contreras haha. Yes, keep up with the hip mobility and do what K-Star says, because everyone should be doing that, but really if you're able to keep close to neutral all the way to the bottom and throughout the movement, you've got no problem there and shouldn't be worrying beyond that.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Mark Pieciak

Profile:

I'm replying a little late, but thanks for the input guys. I was over-thinking it. Kettlebell swings are feeling pretty good so far.

Sitting, on the other hand, makes my back/sacrum feel like fecal matter. Go figure.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Andrew Wiemken

Profile:

Sitting is the worst. If it's bothering you a lot, it's about proximal hip extensor tightness. Roll out the upper hamstrings, glutes, adductors. Might help.