CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
David Miller

Profile:
CrossFit: My Anti-Drug

The other day I jokingly told an old drinking buddy "CrossFit is my anti-drug" when he asked why I never go out anymore....I was kidding at the time but later I was thinking about it more and it really is true....while I was never into drugs at all, I used to drink pretty often and when I did I would drink A LOT.....
Now, this is not to say that I never have a beer or two with friends anymore, however, I rarely if ever go out and get plastered anymore and I think that CF has a lot if not everything to do with that....
The biggest thing for me is the fear of the following days WOD...I will either have to fight through a hangover and most likely post a terrible time or load on the workout or go MIA on the workout altogether....for me, this is simply unacceptable....and my bank account certainly appreciates this change.....

Just thought I would share that.....

-David
Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: CrossFit: My Anti-Drug

I've noticed this as well...good side benefit of the Kool-Aid I guess!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Me too. My occasional drinking has even changed from really heavy IPAs which are probably the worst for you (except for really froofroo juice drinks) to vodka/sodas. It's hard to find good numbers for this online but it looks like a dogfishhead 60minute IPA (I think this is a pretty weak IPA, which means the ones I enjoy are worse!) has 209 calories and 23g of carbs compared with straight vodka sodas at 75 calories and 2.9g carbs.

Vodka soda burns pretty clean, too. You can have a couple on a Friday night and still go kill a workout the next morning
Old 09-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Daniel Mays

Profile:

I'm in college and I feel the same way. I think crossfit has helped me grow up a lot. I tell myself having "what you think is fun at the time, but think is retarded when you wake up" is not as fun as feeling awesome ALL DAY because you are eating right and in great shape. I am switching to red wine in moderation for heart health . I'm not anti alcohol now, just no reason to get wasted. Goes against every goal I have (physical prowess, monetary, mental, well-being, health).

Although, this saturday i pulled a PR 301 on FGB pretty hungover, but afterwards I was mad that I could have gotten more. Hey, we won our first club hockey game the night before
Old 09-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Ted Apollo

Profile:

i am the same way. i have had 1 beer, socially, in the last 6 months. plus when i drink it just makes me a slurring, bumbling idiot. i am not single anymore but when i was 'liquid courage' never helped me with girls.

i am trying to get my brother to get back in shape and he always tells me he is going to quit smoking first. i tell him to start working out first. after you put out all that effort you are less likely to do things to mess up your workout.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

SO I'm the only doing tabata shots?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Me too - I drink water at bars and clubs.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
David Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
SO I'm the only doing tabata shots?
I honestly have pondered the idea before.....umm....what's your PR Jamie? Also, have you considered joining the standup comic circuit?.....I have a feeling, from your posts, that you might do quite well....
Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Remaining concious and lucid, with no concerns of the next day, my pr is 24 tequlia shots in 5 hours. TO be able to work out the next day, my pr is 15 shots over 8 hour (pub crawl) but a different shot (straight liquor) each time.

I've thought about stand up, but I think I would make a better writer. Mabe, I'm not sure. I'm pretty funny, but I'm funny in person or conversations. I do like attention though.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Allison Bishop

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
I honestly have pondered the idea before.....umm....what's your PR Jamie? Also, have you considered joining the standup comic circuit?.....I have a feeling, from your posts, that you might do quite well....

Tabata Shots and Squats are brutal!

My tabata squat PR is 24... tabata squat PR when drinking V2 vodka every rest break.... 18.

Good times.

I almost never ever drink anymore either because of CrossFit. I never go out to drink with my friends. Actually, my friends have totally changed since I started CF because of the changes in my lifestyle. Now I do the WOD for fun instead of getting drunk and dancing through the night. Big improvement.

The crazy part is the only time you'll catch me with a beer in my hand is at a CrossFit event! A beer after a cert or at dinner.

I drank tequila, beer and wine all through June in AZ but now I've cut myself off and feel like a million bucks. I love waking up and feeling ready for a workout.