CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-08-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
This article is pretty humorous

http://www.slate.com/id/2128999/?GT1=7407
Old 11-09-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
Genevieve Gornicki

Profile:
Eww, The simple solution for all this fat? CROSSFIT AND THE ZONE!!!! These people need to get edumacated (hee hee).
You know what reminds me of fat? Salad dressing, to me it looks like the liquid they would drain/liposuction off of someone's butt.
Make comparisons like that, or better yet put gross picture/lables on fattening foods similar to those they advertise for smoking,and people might wisen up a little or at least ingest smaller quantities of food
Old 11-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
Christian Hansen

Profile:
You could just watch Fight Club :biggrin:
Old 11-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Ugh, I've heard of NAFAA before, their group makes about 0 sense to me.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
They make sense to me. But not completely.

There is definately bias and bigatry towards fat people. A lot of "fat rights" groups formed way before this particular group formed - and made more sense than this one does. The article points out that overeaters anonymous, for example, is more balanced in terms of arguing for less bigatry towards the overweight while still encouraging and teaching ways to learn self discipline for exercising and eating less.

Our culture colludes in many ways to keep people fat and pathologize those of us who like to exercise. Self discipline is not rated as highly as self esteem in our schools anymore and thus we have lost a lot of important balance.

This quote from the article really encapsulates it: The irony is that while overconsumption may be encouraged, all bodily evidence of it is stigmatized, especially in the romantic sphere.

Did you know that most overweight men don't even know they are overweight? And most women think they are overweight no matter what their weight?

The problem with men is that we equate "big" with "strong". I have met many men who didn't think they were fat until they looked at their doctor's chart and saw the word obese. Overweight children often don't have the right knowledge to prevent their obesity and when they get older, they don't have the skills to lose weight and get fit.

Being overweight (or really, overfat) is a huge issue (no pun intended). And, as the article states, with 1/3 of the US population overweight, this is getting to be an issue that effects us all.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
The problem is how fat is being categorized. It's again focused on body image and "the look". I don't care if you are fat from a cosmetic perspective, but the health issues with being fat are largely ignored. We get this emotional battle going with people because of weight, when really it should come down to health. Doctors are afraid of telling their patients they need to loose weight because of emotional reactions, yet if you had a broken arm no doctor is going to hesitate to cast it so it can be fixed. The diet industry and our culture has really messed up public views on fitness. We need to restructure our approach. The CF community as a whole has such a better view.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I had a client blow off his workout the other day without calling. Two weeks later I find out he has been seeing a bunch of doctors about bariatric surgery. His surgery was fast-tracked and is scheduled for a couple of weeks from now. Sad.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Profile:
oh geez...nothing like a quick fix....
Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
Matthew Scoble

Profile:
Along these lines, my wife is a peditrician and recently attended a lecture by an endocrinologist. Two startling take home messages from the talk: 1) if current trends continue, one in three of this generation of children will develop Type II diabetes, and 2) the most effective treatment for Type II diabetes is diet & exercise, it works 100% of the time. However, the overwhelming number of people with Type II diabetes opt to take insulin & other medications and live with diabetes, rather than lose weight, exercise, and actually fix the problem. Go figure.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I dunno Roger. Cher had ribs removed. And that isn't the only thing that people do that are crazy in order to look good and that doctors will do. If it became "in" to have a broken arm, I bet you could find someone who would set you up just fine.

We live in a sick society.

That is a bummer Lincoln. Especially cause I know folks who went that route and it doesn't help. They are still fat because eventually they learn to eat in smaller amounts but all day long. Without exercise, you don't look good anyway cause it is the muscle tone that makes you look good.

Whatever.