CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Josh Giegerich

Profile:
Hill Sprints and KB's

Was wondering if anyone has any good wo that incorp hill sprints and Kettle bells? I have a 16kg and a 20kg, I think that translates into a 35lber and a 44lber, only singles though. Id say the hill is about 25yds but pretty steep, there is a longer hill prob 50-75 yrds but dont know if its on private property or not?

Also hope this is in the right forum?? If not sorry.

Jg
Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Ken Weber

Profile:
Re: Hill Sprints and KB's

I would say stick with simple couplets or triplets. No need to get really crazy with a lot of exercises.

Try stuff like

15 minute AMRAP:
10 KB swings
Hill sprint

etc...

You can add in bodyweight exercises for a triplet as well. Get creative!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I don't like sprints and swings together. The sprints turn into slogging jogs pretty quickly and it's all PC.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Bear crawl up and down and snatch the KB for 20 per side 4-5 rounds?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Brent Eno

Profile:

If your goal is to make a quick metcon and completely gas yourself, then you can make a couplet or triplet(Like Ken said, add a bodyweight exercise, maybe burpees).

But if your goal is to work on explosive power, then I would just do the hill sprints and leave the KBs out of it. Sprint the hill as hard as you can, then rest for a minute or so. Do that about ten times, rest for a little while, then do a quick WOD if you feel like it(suggestion: 5 rounds for time: 10 snatches each arm, 20 burpees, 30 squats)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Josh Giegerich

Profile:

Ok, sounds good guys! Thanks you very much. Great ideas, now lets hope I don't get arrested for tresspassing...lol.

Jg
Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Rob Darden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Giegerich View Post
Ok, sounds good guys! Thanks you very much. Great ideas, now lets hope I don't get arrested for tresspassing...lol.

Jg
Well when the cops show up start sprinting. You will then truly know how your fitness has progressed.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Hill sprints are evil. I couldn't imagine doing them in a metcon. I have used a hill in metcons but I was more like "jogging" it.

I don't think you can truly sprint a hill and do other stuff. Look at last year's games and the sandbag sprint, look how the competitors finished... they were DONE, all of them, in the last few steps seemed very slow, Pat Barber said it was the hardest run he's ever done. Sure it had a sandbag and was a bit long, but still, if you go all out on a hill sprint... well, at least me, I need some minutes to recover.

Like I said I once used a hill for metcons but I was jogging it up and down, and I must say that the downhill part gave me knee pains, and I've never had knee pains before or after that, so I just stopped doing that. I still sprint it upwards sometimes but treat it as strength work... meaning, I rest a ton between attempts (and even that feels like very little, maybe I particulary suck at hill sprints).
Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Leslie Powell

Profile:

Learn 1arm kettlebell jerks for high reps, and alternate w/hill sprints. Kettlebell jerk is overlooked in crossfit land. KB Jerk=quads and arms. Hill Sprint=posterior chain.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Brian Carver

Profile:

Quote:
KB Jerk=quads and arms. Hill Sprint=posterior chain.
If you don't feel the hill sprints EVERYWHERE, then either you're not sprinting hard enough or your hill is too flat/too short.

Just sprint the hill--its hard enough on its own. To get the most from a hill sprint, you should be trying to accelerate with every step (you'll never reach full speed). Leave the KBs for another workout.