CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Josh Giegerich

Profile:
Newb, with Q's ??

Hey all, I've been roaming the main page, boards, and even Brand X. Im trying to grasp as much as possible. I've read through the start here, and what is crossfit, but of corse....Ive got more questions. I kinda grasp the overly simple concept of WOD....but this is where my question lies. Should I stick to the WOD's or should I randomly go through the workouts like Fran and the such? I by no means can do all the exercises correctly, I currently do BodyBuild type routines, but I want to switch things up....im going to be diveing back into BJJ and would like to have some functional strength. Last week I tried somewhat of a crossfit workout, we did some deads, pull ups, pushups, and thrusters....all for time at 15reps. My partner has been doing crossfit type workouts, so I figured I'd see what was up. Im trying to start slow and gradually work into a full crossfit type program, where im following the WOD constantly. IDK, any tips...advice, anything at this point to try and clear the haze in my head. I kinda feel lost.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Newb, with Q's ??

1. The workouts on the front page are programmed to a certain extent so it's better to follow those. If you want more information on this check out the template in the CF journal (this one is free).

2. Watch a lot of the vids from the exercise section and then get vids of yourself and post in the digital coaching section if you need help with your technique on exercises.

3. Starting slow is good. Scaling is probably the best way to do it. Check out BrandX MartialArts for scaled workouts.

4. I would also read through the whole FAQ if I were you. It answers a lot of other questions you might have.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Josh Giegerich

Profile:

Thanks Steven, I did check into the FAQ's....very helpful. Maybe im using the Brand X forum incorrectly...but once I get overthere, it seems like people are just posting their times and efforts from the Crossfit WOD. Any tips with that forum?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Go to the mainsite.

In near the middle of the page they should have a few clickable topics. There's one at the top usually for the day at hand. The one I clicked on was "Saturday, February 9th = Run or Row 5K"

First post is as rx'd. The second post is generally the one with the scaled workouts. So in the second post they have:

"Big Dawgs and Pack:
As Rx'd

Puppies:
Run or row 1500-2500 m depending on your ability

Buttercups:
Run or row 1500-2500 m depending on your ability"

Fairly simple. If you can't get it now you have to be a bit web challenged.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Philip Borde

Profile:

First let me say: Welcome to Crossfit Josh,

When you go to the Brandx forums, click the day you're working on, then the only two people to pay attention to are LauraR and GardDawg. She will post the WOD from the crossfit website, and GardDawg will give the scaled versions. The scaled workouts come in four workouts: Big Dawgs, Pack, Puppies, and Buttercups. Start out where you feel comfortable and do that same level until you feel ready to move to the next. And if you find out the move up was too soon, go back down a level.

I hope that was a coherent answer. I'm at work and just woke up from a nap. (Ambulance services rocks!)
Old 02-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Josh Giegerich

Profile:

Outstanding!! Ill give it a shot....and yes im a bit web challanged....kick a guy while he's down eh??? j/k.....thank though guys for real!

Jg
Old 02-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Josh Giegerich

Profile:

BOO-Yahhh, I got it! Just takes me a little while. Thanks again.