CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-02-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
Rajesh Huntley

Profile:  
I am looking for some shoes that are "Crossfit worthy" and would like some recommendations. I am interested in footwear that is versatile enough to do all or most of our workouts in (running, powerlifting, etc.). Thanks,

Rajesh
Old 06-02-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I wear Chucks (Converse All-stars) except for the 5k, for which I wear running shoes. I wear running shoes as little as possible because, as I understand it, elevating the heel reduces the demand on flexibility in deep squatting movements, weakens stabilizer muscles, and, most importantly, reduces involvement of the all-important posterior chain in any motion. Yikes! That sounds pretty scary when I write it all out like that; maybe I'll try wearing my chucks for the next 5k, too.

Ross Hunt
Old 06-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
P.S.: I should have just written this:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/3340.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/2111.html

http://www.runningbarefoot.org/FAQ.shtml

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/735.html
Old 06-02-2004, 04:59 PM   #4
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
"as I understand it, elevating the heel reduces the demand on flexibility in deep squatting movements, weakens stabilizer muscles, and, most importantly, reduces involvement of the all-important posterior chain in any motion."

Ross, you are frightening me, especially the bit about the posterior chain.I have been wearing running shoes for most WOD's but if what you said is true, that will be chaninging immediately.What's your opinion(or anyone else) on Sambas for crossfit?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:23 PM   #5
Nick Massman

Profile:
barefoot for everything but running( new balance 804 or 704).sambas in the rocks doing circuits at crossfit SLO.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
Pat Janes

Profile:

I run as little as possible (don't like it much + bad knees), but when I do, then it's the running shoes.

For everything else, I train in bare feet.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

Something struck me a while back. Not to take anything away from Coach, but most of the pillars of crossfit are not revolutionary. They have been around for a long time. Stay on this board long enough, and you will see constant references to how the old timers trained. The more I learn, the more I realize that we have been lied to for the last thirty or forty years. All in the name of $$ I am afraid. They told us to give up our core lifts like cleans and deads and start using Nautilus. They told us we needed to do lots of low intensity cardio. They said big was much better than functional. Don't train hard, buy our supplements and gadgets and you will look good. All in all, I think we let them pull the wool over our eyes.

Crossfit has done a lot to debunk those myths for a lot of people. We now use o-lifts, gymnastics, high intensity training, eat paleo, etc. I just saw the thread about squatting and how we need to do the "paleo-crap" for proper colon health. The one area that I don't see crossfit leading the way back is running.

The last 30 years of running shoes were made for one thing. To make money. Hate to break it to you, but they weren't made to make you run faster. Being in the Marine Corps requires that you put in a lot of road miles, whether you like it or not. I had the typical MC knees...bad ones. Then I found crossfit and started doing some research. I switched to chucks, changed my running form, and started squatting more. Viola! No more knee pain.

I would challenge you all to go as far as you can into "paleo" running. You will probably be surprised at what you find your body can do, and I know that your body will thank you.

Try this link for some more info.

http://www.runningbarefoot.org/
Old 06-03-2004, 01:27 PM   #8
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

For the more technically minded:

http://www.indiana.edu/~hperk500/gcm...bstract159.pdf

Old 06-03-2004, 02:05 PM   #9
Mike Berryhill

Profile:  
Sambas or Chuck Taylors?? Which is perfered??
Old 06-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I tend to go barefoot. Even on the runs if the terrain is not too crazy. In Chico summertime temps can reach 115-120F and anything above 90 gets the pavement very hot! I use tevas in these instances and have worn sambas for capoeira.
I am 100% behind the barefoot running.
Robb