CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
Nick Massman

Profile:
Cal Poly Rugby has just returned from a tour to Ireland. They played 3 matches and have 3 wins to their credit. over the last 3-4 weeks I have trained them in the crossfit protocol 3-4 days a week with rugby skills and drills on 3 other days. The feed back I have recieved is nothing but positive.The boys will continue on this path up until their playoff run starting april 16th. I will keep you posted on their results and more detail on the application of crossfit as it pertains to rugby.
Rgs,
Nick
Old 03-29-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
That's awesome Nick. Good luck to your guys in the playoffs. Send more graphic photos.

Brian
Old 03-29-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
Nick Massman

Profile:
I need to give a timeline on the team and their exposer to crossfit.
I am Cal Poly Rugby alumnus(85'-91).However, my rugby career continued after graduation and over the next 8 years in SLO, new zealand and australia on 3 separate occasions.and finally, 3 years in San Francisco all while living in Santa Cruz.After retiring with my body in tact. I tried to fill the void with other activities Surfing, BJJ, and paddleboard racing. It was while I was doing BJJ in santa cruz that I was exposed to Crossfit.
It helped me so much not only in bjj but my paddleboard racing was much more pleasurable I no longer suffered from 2- 8 hrs like I used to in my previous races, it was then that I wished I had had crossfit during my rugby career.
So 5 years later my wife, daughter and I move back to SLO to raise the family and my Rugby coaching career begins.
I started coaching rugby in january and exposing the team to crossfit immediately. I came with the holy grail but we had such a large group we had(60 players) it is tough to get them all through in a gym setting. so it was alot of tabata's anything, relays, track and hill work. We introduced med balls, wall ball, ball handling skills and hooverball crossfit style.The boys really seemed liked the variety and their game really elevated.
The team ended their league season 8-0 (southern california division 1 league champs and ranked 5th in the nation for the playoffs starting april 16th). The closest team in score was 40-14. They blew everyone else out. 2 of the games were 103-0 and 130-0. these games are 40 minute long halves with a 5 minute halftime.so it is difficult to stay tuned in that long especially as fatigue sets in.The boys had 2 weeks with out games but 3 to 4 days of Crossfit and 3 days of rugby skills and drills.They have just returned from Ireland with scores of
CP v Limerick IT 40 - 10
CP v Athlone IT 44 - 7
CP v Trinity 29 - 25
The trinity game was a war and fitness prevailed.We have 2 more weeks of crossfit and Rugby skills and drills with them and I feel they have a legitimate chance to win the national championship.
This sat we have a tune up against Cal(nothing at stake) who has won the national championships umpteen times and is a powerhouse. They will have to bring their lunch this weekend though cause it is going to be a long day.
I wanted share some history about the season and how Crossfit is proliferating itself. so now you can at least put a story to a group or puking photo.
thank you coach and lauren
details of this weekend and the championship run will follow.
Keeping the Force positive
Rgs,
Nick

Old 03-30-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Nick-
Great work!
Old 04-01-2004, 12:14 PM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Outstanding.

I played rugby in Michigan from '89 to '00, mostly with club sides, and I too wish I had access to the eclectic wizards here at CrossFit during that time. I eventually honed my conditioning so it was similar in tone to some CrossFit stuff, but it sure would have been nice to have access to the WOD.

Steve Shafley
Old 04-03-2004, 02:18 PM   #6
John J Rocha

Profile:  
Mr. Massman,

Played for SDSU in 97-98 and it seems you guys have come a long way even from back then. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:52 PM   #7
Nick Massman

Profile:
Update on the Cal Poly vs cal game today. Cal Poly Crushed cal 58-18 on cal's home turf.I am very proud of the effort that the boys have put forth.
Keeping the Force Positive
Rgs,
Nick
Old 04-04-2004, 01:49 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

As an ex-Golden Bear, gad, that's depressing.

Hopefully, the humiliation will encourage Cal to wake up and try some better training. I don't suppose anyone asked you how your team did it?

Cerrito Hill training is less than 5 miles from the UC campus, you'd think they could learn a thing or two here . . .

Congratulations, Nick! (damn)
Old 04-07-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
Nick Massman

Profile:
update on the top 5 rankings going into the playoffs after last weeks win over cal
GoffonRugby.Com
Men's National Collegiate Rankings
Updated Wednesday April 07, 2004
Last week's rankings in parentheses

Air Force (1)
Current Record 10-0
Last Week 39-13 over Wyoming (20), 59-0 over Texas A&M
This Week idle

Cal Poly (5)
Current Record 12-0-1
Last Week 58-18 over Cal (2)
This Week idle

BYU (3)
Current Record 12-1
Last Week 48-17 over Chico State, 66-22 over UN-Reno (18)
This Week idle

California (2)
Current Record 10-3
Last Week 18-58 v. Cal Poly (5)
This Week idle

Army (6)
Current Record 14-0-1
Last Week beat UVa, Cornell, BC and Navy (4) (10-0) in Cherry Blossom
This Week idle

We have texas A&M in the first game fri april 16th

keeping the force positive
rgs,
Nick

Old 04-18-2004, 11:20 PM   #10
Nick Massman

Profile:
Men’s Division I Championship Semi-Final Match-ups
Defending champion US Air Force Academy, California Polytechnic State University, US Naval Academy and California will compete for the Men’s Division I Collegiate Championships title in Stanford. This will be the first appearance in the National Semi-Finals for Cal Poly while California marches in for the 14th consecutive time. The Naval Academy returns to this round for the first time since 2001.

The Men’s Division I Semifinals will be held Friday, April 30, with the Air Force Academy squaring off against Cal Poly and Cal facing the Naval Academy. The winners of each match-up will progress to the Championship Finals on Saturday, May 1.