CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-04-2005, 01:16 AM   #21
Jason Erickson

Profile:
John -

If you're in MN (or can travel), I hope you come to one of my CST workshops. The next one is October 16th. Details are on my web site.

Feel free to ask any questions that come up.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #22
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Jeremy,
Where can you buy lead shot?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:38 AM   #23
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
For lead shot-go to any big sporting goods store that sells reloading equipment. Kelly got hers at Gander Mountain; about $25 for 20 lbs.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:48 AM   #24
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Thanks Lynne.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #25
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Yuppers, just listen to Lynne.

You could have it shipped to your house, but that can sometimes double the cost. Don't buy it from Mc Master Carr, they want $57.10 for 25lbs without shipping.

I am thinking that making a clubbell would be good if you reinforced it with a pipe down the center, then only used sand for the first 2/3 near the handle. The last 1/3 of the volume could have a paper layer and some lead shot could be poured in from there.

. . .

or you could just buy the real thing and have some quality. Sometimes it is easier and cheaper to leave it to the pros.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:57 PM   #26
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Anyone that attends one of my group classes will be loaned real Clubbells to use at the event. I have enough to share. Come try them out and see if they're for you. I will bring both standard sizes and heavy Clubbells.

The next class I'm offering is Sunday, October 16. Details are on my web site: www.ClubbellTrainer.com
Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #27
Nick Massman

Profile:
why don't you use regular spun aluminum softball or little league aluminum bats. drill a small hole in the handle end and use a funnel to load the lead. use jb weld to seal the end or just weld it if you have access to a tig welder
Old 10-10-2005, 08:46 PM   #28
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Again, safety is a major concern. Aluminum bats are not designed to contain weight, and lead shot can settle and shift unexpectedly. No matter how well you pack the filler, it will always settle further with use, and eventually it can start shifting around inside. It is the shifting of filler materials that poses the greatest risk to one's joints. For that reason, it is best to use a solid implement.

Another oft-overlooked issue is the matter of uniform center of mass (COM). Home-made implements will not have a uniform COM, and often do not have a uniform weight. This is not a big issue with single-CB exercises, but can be a very large issue with double-CB training, particularly over time and with the use of more advanced movements.

Clubbell training is not simply about moving a certain amount of weight around. With practice, you become adept at moving your body to more efficiently manipulate the position and movement of force in 3-dimensional patterns that explore the limits of your ROM. The gradual sophistication of movements from simple to complex is as important (possibly moreso) as adjusting the position of your grip or the weight of the CB.

Another consideration is the gripping surface. The rubber, tape and contoured gripping surfaces of homemade substitutes tend to wear out and chew up your hands with serious practice. The finish comprising the gripping surface of a real CB initially presents a greater challenge, but it stands up well to long-term hard use without excess abrasion of your hands.

I've made and used many homemade substitutes, but none of them even comes close to the real thing. My recommendation is to make one if you have to, but upgrade to the genuine item ASAP.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:21 AM   #29
Doug Ralston

Profile:
Another option for lead is to go to your local tire shop and offer to take a bucket of used wheel weights off of their hands.

Doug