CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Jim B Smith

Profile:
Naming your Box!

Is there somewhere on the main site or the Journal site where you can check affiliate names to see if they are taken? If so where is it and if not how do you go about checking?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Alex Dichter

Profile:
Re: Naming your Box!

Hey Jim, I just recently applied for affiliation. As far as a box name database, you could scroll through the ever growing list on the main site. However, I'm not sure how often that is updated. I just did Google searches. I did two searches, for example, CrossFit XYZ and XYZ CrossFit just to make sure. I also recommend have a few name options just in case HQ turns your first pick down for whatever reason. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Jim B Smith

Profile:

Thanks Alex for the response. I've been doing the google thing as well but I just wanted to make sure I hadn't been overlooking an official way of checking.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Just because you find a name on google - that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't name your gym that particular name.

Someone had cyber squatted the name of my gym, but I had already been approved by HQ for the name. Worked with HQ legal, and we worked out a transfer of the name to me.

It would be nice if there was a "search" function on the affiliate page to determine if names are taken/available.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Joshua Hass

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Just because you find a name on google - that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't name your gym that particular name.

Someone had cyber squatted the name of my gym, but I had already been approved by HQ for the name. Worked with HQ legal, and we worked out a transfer of the name to me.

It would be nice if there was a "search" function on the affiliate page to determine if names are taken/available.
Just go to www.crossfit.com, hit Ctrl+F and type in whatever name you're thinking of. If it is a current affiliate it will pop, if not, you may be in luck. It's what I did, and it ended up working for me. It may not be 100%, but it's a jumping off point.

Josh
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Jim B Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Hass View Post
Just go to www.crossfit.com, hit Ctrl+F and type in whatever name you're thinking of. If it is a current affiliate it will pop, if not, you may be in luck. It's what I did, and it ended up working for me. It may not be 100%, but it's a jumping off point.

Josh
YOU ARE THE MAN!
Thank you