CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Peyton Aubin

Profile:
What does it take to make it to the top?

Hi everyone, I've got a few questions I've just been thinking about. What does it take to become a serious competitor in the CF Games? Can anybody get there through enough training? If so, how long would it take to get that level of athleticism and how much training would I have to do?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Struan Potter

Profile:
Re: What does it take to make it to the top?

I believe anyone can get there, how long it takes depends on their current numbers and mindset.

If you don't believe you can qualify to the Games, you'll never achieve it.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Peanut butter, chocolate milk and a headband obviously haha.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Look at the strength and metcon numbers that CF-level competitors post on their Games profile. If you can match or beat them on more events than not, you've got a chance. Off the top of my head, here's some that come to mind for men's standards: 400lb squat, 500lb deadlift, 180lb press, 300lb C&J, 225lb snatch, sub-3:00 Fran, sub-1:00 400m, sub-1:30 500m row, sub-8:00 Helen, 400+ Fight Gone Bad, 19:00 5K run, ability to string 50-75 doubleunders and 10 muscleups without too much difficulty, 50+ pullups, etc. Being able to do all of those things would make you pretty competitive.

How long it takes you to get there depends on where you currently are, how much focus you can put on training and recovery and nutrition, if you have access to good coaching, and genetics.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Genetics and hard work.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

Some people are just genetically predisposed to be able to excel at elite levels, its the same in my sport, strongman. Buuuuuuuut thats just the catalyst for being elite, these athletes usually have ridiculous work ethic and mental fortitude that most people cant imagine. Many have been successful at another sport and have athletic ability. One must also be a jack of all trades, and a good one at that! Consistently is they key, most of the top athletes are good at everything and dominant at some they consider "specialties".
Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

There is only one way to find out.....
Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
Some people are just genetically predisposed to be able to excel at elite levels, its the same in my sport, strongman. Buuuuuuuut thats just the catalyst for being elite, these athletes usually have ridiculous work ethic and mental fortitude that most people cant imagine. Many have been successful at another sport and have athletic ability. One must also be a jack of all trades, and a good one at that! Consistently is they key, most of the top athletes are good at everything and dominant at some they consider "specialties".
This.

...and congrats on your performance at the Arnold!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

Thank you Stu! Still sinking in! I appreciate the support!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Lots of games competitors have long athletic histories...a few common ones I have seen are wrestling (Spealler), baseball (Froning Jr, Ben Smith), football, gymnastics, lacrosse, etc. These sports develop the 'base-layer' for hip/core and other strength/stamina and they also develop the associated mindset with competing and pushing yourself. Not all, but a lot of the top CF athletes have been at CF for a while...this helps when you are doing something that requires tons of skills like CrossFit.

Most importantly, it will require tons of hard work and dedication to your goal.