CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Preston Sprimont
Member Preston Sprimont is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Foothill Ranch  CA
Posts: 483
Low bar back squat. Critique please.

After a long, unwanted hiatus from back squats (local gym didn't have squat racks), I'm finally back at 'em (purchased my weights and made some squat stands). Naturally, I'm a bit rusty.

Here are 3 sets of 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXGKixnD54 (WFS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij41P39LBv0 (WFS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeot16I9sFY (WFS)

Please critique away!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik
Member Robert Fabsik is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kildeer  IL
Posts: 2,233
Re: Low bar back squat. Critique please.

Overall they looked pretty solid to me.

Your depth is great, when I watched the first set they almost looked high bar in regards to depth.

Good work keeping your knees out when they try to come in.

Try to keep your body tense, you were wiggling a little.

Why no shoes?

Also, from the back, did you notice the diffrent angles of your elbows and how the bar was slightly angled across your back? Working on flexibility might help it even out.

But the key mechanics looked pretty good for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Preston Sprimont
Member Preston Sprimont is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Foothill Ranch  CA
Posts: 483
Re: Low bar back squat. Critique please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Overall they looked pretty solid to me.

Your depth is great, when I watched the first set they almost looked high bar in regards to depth.

Good work keeping your knees out when they try to come in.

Try to keep your body tense, you were wiggling a little.

Why no shoes?

Also, from the back, did you notice the diffrent angles of your elbows and how the bar was slightly angled across your back? Working on flexibility might help it even out.

But the key mechanics looked pretty good for me.
Thanks, Robert!

Duly noted on keeping tense. I will keep that in mind.

No shoes because I don't have lifting shoes yet (it's on the list of things to get) and none of my other shoes provide any particular benefit over going barefoot. Plus I'm one of those silly kids with hippy roots that likes to run around shoe-less
I do have some 'skater shoes' (best description I can think of) that have nice flat soles that don't compress too much. I usually wear those when I'm cleaning or snatching. They're nothing like lifting shoes, but better than Nike Shocks.

Hm, now that you mention it, I do notice that on the second video in particular. I can't tell if that's positioning of my hand on the bar or a shoulder positioning/flexibility discrepancy... thank you for pointing that out though!

Much appreciated!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Matt Harris
Member Matt Harris is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Washington  NY
Posts: 23
Re: Low bar back squat. Critique please.

Looks like part of the issue with your hands on the second set is the lighting/shadow and the camera angle. They look better when you rack the weight.

See if staring at the floor about six feet in front of you, and taking a big breath and tightening up before each rep, helps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Preston Sprimont
Member Preston Sprimont is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Foothill Ranch  CA
Posts: 483
Re: Low bar back squat. Critique please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
Looks like part of the issue with your hands on the second set is the lighting/shadow and the camera angle. They look better when you rack the weight.
Yeah, the lighting and angle doesn't help, but the bar does seem a bit uneven, at least in the second video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
See if staring at the floor about six feet in front of you, and taking a big breath and tightening up before each rep, helps.
Valsalva maneuver, right? I try to always take a big breath before each rep. Will work on it though. Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Chris Walls
Affiliate Chris Walls is offline
 
Chris Walls's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Battleford  SK Canada
Posts: 1,722
Re: Low bar back squat. Critique please.

I would suggest tightening up and then taking your big breath. (as opposed to taking a big breath and then tightening up...) K-Star has explained why somewhere or other... try it and feel the difference.
__________________
Accept no excuses, only results
CrossFit North Battleford
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Preston Sprimont
Member Preston Sprimont is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Foothill Ranch  CA
Posts: 483
Re: Low bar back squat. Critique please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
I would suggest tightening up and then taking your big breath. (as opposed to taking a big breath and then tightening up...) K-Star has explained why somewhere or other... try it and feel the difference.
Hmm, I will try that. Maybe I can hunt down that m-wod too. Thank you!
I wonder if this in some way reduces the risks involved in the Valsalva maneuver? I've read in some places that it (the Valsalva maneuver) causes a pretty ridiculous spike in blood pressure and can lead to passing out, dizziness, yadda yadda.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Chris Walls
Affiliate Chris Walls is offline
 
Chris Walls's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Battleford  SK Canada
Posts: 1,722
Re: Low bar back squat. Critique please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
Hmm, I will try that. Maybe I can hunt down that m-wod too. Thank you!
I wonder if this in some way reduces the risks involved in the Valsalva maneuver? I've read in some places that it (the Valsalva maneuver) causes a pretty ridiculous spike in blood pressure and can lead to passing out, dizziness, yadda yadda.
I can't see how it'd lessen the pressure. This method allows you to generate more pressure and set up stronger. If you feel passing out coming on that's when a hiss/grunt is helpful.
__________________
Accept no excuses, only results
CrossFit North Battleford
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
low bar back squat critique Jordan K Smith Digital Coaching 8 04-06-2011 03:00 PM
From Starting Strength, back to Crossfit. Low bar or High Bar Back Squat? Michael Loucas Exercises 3 01-18-2011 06:51 PM
Low bar back squat Sam Padula Digital Coaching 8 10-29-2009 01:43 PM
Low Bar Back Squat Help ... Tim Layton Digital Coaching 6 07-08-2009 04:15 PM
Standing with the low-bar back squat Derek Maffett Exercises 4 06-30-2008 08:58 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.