CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:
Back squat critique

Good or bad, let me have it. My squat is pretty weak to begin with, I'm tryin to get the technique ironed out though. This is a set of 3 with 160lbs. Thanks.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5P0VNFfwpM work and family safe.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Back squat critique

Nice depth. Keep it up.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

First, great work on the squat stands.

Second, great depth.

I think they look pretty good overall. I feel a level shoe or slight heel shoe would help with some foot stability.

Being picky, I felt you leaned a little forward so keep your weight on your heels.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Disagreeing with Robert just a little. A bit of forward lean is typical with back squats. IMHO Brad isn't leaning excessively. I don't see his heels coming off the floor and in fact can see his toes wiggle a bit as he squats up. So, I'm guessing Brad's weight is on his whole foot, but if not, Robert is correct ~ keep the weight on your heels.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Sorry maybe I wasn't very clear. I don't think you have too much lean in regards to the angle of the hip relative to your upper body. That seemed fine for me.

I thought maybe in rep 2 and a little in rep three your weight distribution through the foot moved a little forward and interior on his feet, then the pressure on the feet rolled back to the heel as he squatted up. I think it would be more stable if the weight distribution remained fairly stable on the midfoot or back of the foot instead of shifting throughout. I know when the weights get heavy for me, when the weight shifts back and forth in the feet it gets tougher and tougher to save the squats.

Remeber this is me being picky, overall I think it was a pretty decent squat.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Harish Shetty

Profile:

I L.I.K.E that squat rack !!!

awesome depth brotha. everything looked good.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I will admit, I really have to concentrate to keep my weight on the heels. Most times it really doesn't feel like the weight is actually on my heels, but instead on the whole foot. When I take my shoes off (running shoes), it does help some because the heels on my shoes ar pretty thick since they are traditional running shoes. Do you think it would be better to get a lifting shoe or will it be just as good to lift in my socks or barefoot like I have been?

Lol. I'm surprised everyone liikes the squat stands! I figured I would get a hard time from people since the left side is kinda wobbly. I need to stick a shim under it when I use em to prevent this. The nice thing about em is they were really cheap to make and they work. I enjoy making my own equipment, I have made, plyo boxes, wall ball, kettlebell, pullup bar, bumper storage, always looking for more ideas.

Keep the comments coming if you see anything else I could improve on.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Rasmussen View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. I will admit, I really have to concentrate to keep my weight on the heels. Most times it really doesn't feel like the weight is actually on my heels, but instead on the whole foot. When I take my shoes off (running shoes), it does help some because the heels on my shoes ar pretty thick since they are traditional running shoes. Do you think it would be better to get a lifting shoe or will it be just as good to lift in my socks or barefoot like I have been?

Lol. I'm surprised everyone liikes the squat stands! I figured I would get a hard time from people since the left side is kinda wobbly. I need to stick a shim under it when I use em to prevent this. The nice thing about em is they were really cheap to make and they work. I enjoy making my own equipment, I have made, plyo boxes, wall ball, kettlebell, pullup bar, bumper storage, always looking for more ideas.

Keep the comments coming if you see anything else I could improve on.
You should feel like you're squatting on the whole foot. "on your heels" is only a cue to get people off their toes. If you have the flexibility to squat barefoot, and it looks like you do, then go ahead and keep doing it. If you ever get an itch to compete in o-lifting, shoes will definitely be to your advantage.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
You should feel like you're squatting on the whole foot. "on your heels" is only a cue to get people off their toes. If you have the flexibility to squat barefoot, and it looks like you do, then go ahead and keep doing it. If you ever get an itch to compete in o-lifting, shoes will definitely be to your advantage.
ok, thanks!