CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Saul Stroud

Profile:
Newton Motions

I got a stress fracture in my foot a few months ago and the doctor "prescribed" Newtons. I heel-strike and I pronate and the Motions have the extra stability which seems to have helped correct the problems when I run.

The shoes are comfortable and I like the way they feel when running, so I took them further and worked out in them. They felt great but I was told that these shoes were "probably the worst shoes to do Crossfit in." Can anyone confirm or deny this? I've done a few WODs in them and my feet feel fine. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Newton Motions

Anything with a thick or cushioned sole is going to be terrible for squats, deadlifts, Oly lifts, KB swings, presses, and pretty much anything else I can think of that involves weights. They might be alright for running, but I'd recommend spending some time analyzing and fixing your stride rather than wearing a shoe that forces your foot into an unnatural strike.

How much running were you doing prior to your injury?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

they are not good for CF, especially for lifting or jumping. the answer here is to stop running with poor form, fix your form, learn to run correctly in a way that won't injure you. if that means bring distance way down for a while in order to get form down then so be it. after form is good, then work up intensity. when form maintains with intensity then you can add distance. never sacrifice form for distance. otherwise just stop jogging (if you are heel-striking you are jogging not running, i have never seen a sprinter heel-strike) and just start walking quickly while carrying a load, or do other things for conditioning such as burpees, rowing, etc.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

I suffered from plantar facetious for years, I had a foot Dr prescribe $500 inserts for my shoes, and he had NO problem injecting me with cortisone in my heel every three months. Then one say I followed A friends advice and did the complete opposite of my docs orders. I went bare foot, cold turkey!! Three years barefoot and not a single shot since. My case is obviously different than yours, but freeing the Foot to move naturally allows the body to adjust naturally. The foot is the base, and you have got to build a strong base.