CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #41
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Elite crossfit athlete development theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Shane, do you have any examples off the top of your head of affiliates who do a really good job at the first goal? I'd like to take a look at them.
To be honest, no, not really. I don't really pay close attention to them. I'm sure there are others on here that could suggest some.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #42
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Elite CrossFit athlete development theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Are there? If I recall the poster boy for CrossFit at a young age, Connor Martin, has been placing lower and lower in the Games each year. As far as I know all of the promising young athletes come to CrossFit from other backgrounds.
Watch CrossFit Fury's team at the games. They qualified while Peter Egyed pursued an individual slot. He finished 5th and is on record saying he thinks 2012 will be his year. Until 2010 he trained at his affiliate with only TJ trying to push him. Now he is sponsored and has access to more time with other top level athletes. He will now move on to their affiliate team that qualified without him. Peter, TJ and Britney Barber and the rest of the team do not come from major athletic back grounds. They did start CrossFit in 2007 which puts them close to the 5 year mark.

Like any competition the best athletes will have long histories in the discipline. CrossFit is new and growing explosively so we get lots of cross over athletes. There will continue to be some of this cross over but I expect future champions will come from places like CrossFit Football started in high school then giving up football but continuing on with CrossFit. Those kids will be beast.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #43
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kinnick View Post
He was fat and out of shape at the time, we had only found out about CrossFit a few months before, so he was just getting into it. His Fran progressed as follows:
17:22 (6/07)
8:24 (8/07
5:08 (12/07)
4:03 (2/08)

You can see his full Fran history here (wfs) on beyond the whiteboard.

During that time we were still in the garage doing .com only, on a 3-on-1-off. No extra work, because everything was a weakness at that point.

The only metcons he has ever done have been prescribed by .com, except for the occasional holiday wod or something of that nature. His engine comes from hitting every wod with games-like intensity, or something near that. The only way he can attack them that hard is by not doing two-a-days. You get fast by going fast.

He followed .com all through the open, only hitting the games WOD once a week. Once the regional workouts were released, we modified his programming to specifically prep for that. A specific, known test needs specific preparation. He took the week or so after regionals off. Now he is getting back on .com, and working his newly exposed weaknesses from regionals.
Cool man, thanks for the insight. I find that it incredible that he has been able to continue to progress to this elite level without a major shift in programming after the initial success.

I just watched a few of his videos and he's a beast. I'll be rooting for him hard.

Also, I spent a bunch of time on your website. Excellent stuff, keep it up!
Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #44
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Some people in this thread give me the impression that they think that "constantly varied" equals "randomised".
Old 07-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #45
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:

what it comes down to, is a person with superior genetics and athleticism could be on just about any program and excel.

if the cf.com wods arent random, then i dont know what is.

I had to change my program to CFSB then CFFB, because the mainsite didnt address strength enough for me.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #46
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson View Post
what it comes down to, is a person with superior genetics and athleticism could be on just about any program and excel.

if the cf.com wods arent random, then i dont know what is.

I had to change my program to CFSB then CFFB, because the mainsite didnt address strength enough for me.
it is not random, there is a method to the madness. in the CFJ, look at the article from Feb 2003 titled "Theoretical Template for CrossFit's Programming" by coach and you will understand the rotation. occasionally they break up the cycle by throwing in crazy chippers, hero's, or doing a cycle that will really tax the body like the recent 3 in a row triplet of "run 800, do 30 reps of X, and run 800"... but for the most part the programming follows the template fairly well.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #47
Joey Harper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
it is not random, there is a method to the madness. in the CFJ, look at the article from Feb 2003 titled "Theoretical Template for CrossFit's Programming" by coach and you will understand the rotation. occasionally they break up the cycle by throwing in crazy chippers, hero's, or doing a cycle that will really tax the body like the recent 3 in a row triplet of "run 800, do 30 reps of X, and run 800"... but for the most part the programming follows the template fairly well.
Come on man don't make people from Kansas look stupid...

... or if I'm missing the sarcasm and this is CJ Kim inspired
Old 07-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #48
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
If you can find me a month or even a week of CF.com programming that follows that template I'll owe you a beer.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #49
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

key words "for the most part" and 'fairly well"...

i was not intending to imply that .com workouts follow this exact pattern, but rather adding clarity to the above posts that point out that there is a distinction between constantly varied and random. i felt this article was a good explanation of the difference between intentional programming for constant variation and completely random workouts. i should have been more clear with the purpose of my post. hope this clears it up.

Last edited by Andrew N. Casey : 07-04-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: clarification upon re-read
Old 07-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #50
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
key words "for the most part" and 'fairly well"...

i was not intending to imply that .com workouts follow this exact pattern, but rather adding clarity to the above posts that point out that there is a distinction between constantly varied and random. i felt this article was a good explanation of the difference between intentional programming for constant variation and completely random workouts. i should have been more clear with the purpose of my post. hope this clears it up.

I think you missed the point... the CF mainsite WODs don't even remotely resemble the theoretical template...