CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
MDUSA Soft Plyo Box Review

I purchased an 18" soft plyo box for the Black Friday sale and wanted to review it.

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/MDUSA...ch_p_1201.html (WFS)

First let me say this is for home use only. I occasionally train people (outside of my children) but I don't charge and do it mainly as a ministry (usually high school kids). The box sits in my garage and is red (see photo) and is a welcome edition to my garage.

The construction on this thing is amazing. It is built like a tank (weighed 116lbs on a small pallet when delivered). It has heavy duty vinyl all around it and the stitching appears to be top notch. It has velcro strips on two sides to allow for making a larger plyo box if one purchases the other sizes (I didn't, no more $$). The top landing area is made of a non skid surface that works well for a variety of shoes. It has 2 straps on it (one on each side) for lifting it up (or dragging it, though I wouldn't recommend long term dragging).

My two sons (8 & 10) and myself are the main users of this and it works well for all of us. They can use this without fear of nasty shin scrapes and as such they have actually improved in their jumping technique because they do not have any fear of 'miss jumps'.

We use this box for standard box jumps, step ups and for box squatting. For my children I simply bring plates (55lb or 35lb depending on child) and place them on a corner. The child then stands on the plate and does a controlled box squat (usually with a KB or a DB in front squat position).

I have used the box for box squats of 400lbs+ and seen no loss of strength in the box design or construction.

The only real 'negative' I can give this box is the cost and the weight. $300 before shipping (I got mine on sale 15% off) can be a difficult thing to swallow. The weight of this also makes it harder to move around than a typical box.

Those two things stated I do feel that this box could be a great addition to any home garage or crossfit box because of the perks. There is NO scare factor in failing a jump. My older son missed 8x's in a row one day because he wasn't getting his left foot up. Had this happened on a regular box he would have bailed after the first missed attempt with a nasty scar. Instead he kept working on driving with his arms and knees and got his form down. When one does fail a jump there is no real pain. I have tried it myself and felt nothing other than a little 'hair' pulling from the vinyl but that wasn't even that bad (especially when considering the other option on wood).

They also would work for box squatting which I think is an amazing exercise too many people don't use.

I love this thing and box jump 2-3x a week for warmups/cardio now vs hating them as much as I used too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	13700  
Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Mike Hollister

Profile:
Re: MDUSA Soft Plyo Box Review

Almost pulled the trigger on one of these (and some wood jerk/pull boxes from Maverick) but I just don't have the space right now. Glad to see it works well.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Well they are still much cheaper than gymnastic foam boxes despite being quite heavy. These gymnastic boxes are relatively light though.

My buddies at CFMarin/TheCave have some vinyl covered wood boxes that are hollow with support beams inside them but they aren't light by any means besides being very cumbersome to move yourself. Generally we would climb inside them and walk around or have 2 people move them. No way they weighed #118 though, maybe half that?

http://www.gymsupply.com/spottingblock.aspx wfs
Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Mike Hollister

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I purchased an 18" soft plyo box for the Black Friday sale and wanted to review it.

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/MDUSA...ch_p_1201.html (WFS)

First let me say this is for home use only. I occasionally train people (outside of my children) but I don't charge and do it mainly as a ministry (usually high school kids). The box sits in my garage and is red (see photo) and is a welcome edition to my garage.

The construction on this thing is amazing. It is built like a tank (weighed 116lbs on a small pallet when delivered). It has heavy duty vinyl all around it and the stitching appears to be top notch. It has velcro strips on two sides to allow for making a larger plyo box if one purchases the other sizes (I didn't, no more $$). The top landing area is made of a non skid surface that works well for a variety of shoes. It has 2 straps on it (one on each side) for lifting it up (or dragging it, though I wouldn't recommend long term dragging).

My two sons (8 & 10) and myself are the main users of this and it works well for all of us. They can use this without fear of nasty shin scrapes and as such they have actually improved in their jumping technique because they do not have any fear of 'miss jumps'.

We use this box for standard box jumps, step ups and for box squatting. For my children I simply bring plates (55lb or 35lb depending on child) and place them on a corner. The child then stands on the plate and does a controlled box squat (usually with a KB or a DB in front squat position).

I have used the box for box squats of 400lbs+ and seen no loss of strength in the box design or construction.

The only real 'negative' I can give this box is the cost and the weight. $300 before shipping (I got mine on sale 15% off) can be a difficult thing to swallow. The weight of this also makes it harder to move around than a typical box.

Those two things stated I do feel that this box could be a great addition to any home garage or crossfit box because of the perks. There is NO scare factor in failing a jump. My older son missed 8x's in a row one day because he wasn't getting his left foot up. Had this happened on a regular box he would have bailed after the first missed attempt with a nasty scar. Instead he kept working on driving with his arms and knees and got his form down. When one does fail a jump there is no real pain. I have tried it myself and felt nothing other than a little 'hair' pulling from the vinyl but that wasn't even that bad (especially when considering the other option on wood).

They also would work for box squatting which I think is an amazing exercise too many people don't use.

I love this thing and box jump 2-3x a week for warmups/cardio now vs hating them as much as I used too.

I see them on the videos use these for pulling blocks. What do you think of them for that purpose? Are they strong enough?
Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hollister View Post
I see them on the videos use these for pulling blocks. What do you think of them for that purpose? Are they strong enough?
I didn't think of that but possibly. I mean it handles 600 lbs sitting on it with my BW plus weights.

I would probably use a cut piece of carpet or floor mat on top for when "dropping" weight on it.