CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #111
Diana Alt

Profile:
Re: 2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic McQuaide View Post
I think that its always going to be that way. Grid was a good example of judging. Those athletes were going so fast that sometimes the professional judges had a hard time keeping up. And they were fantastic at it. They had instant replay to help and rules on how to remedy the situation.

Noah Olsen was hosed in the Crit. His pedal fell off, clearly mechanical. Crit racing has mechanical stations on both sides of the coarse. So he and Pat V should have been able to get those fixed and get a free lap and finish in the pack. Extra wheels could have been around for those peeps who could have flatted. So they put so much time into the bikes, training the athletes.. could have been more informed. Pat and Noah would have been in better shape after the 1st event to give Mat F a better run.

The worst calls I saw were CLB doing her bounce strict press. I really can't believe that she did that to her judge. Almost like Brooke Wells and her hspu with new standards.

Don't even get me going on the 45+ masters men. What a S@#T show from the Masters Qual to half way thru the games.
CLB has a history of dodgy stuff at regionals and not being good to judges who hold her accountable, as does Brooke. Iíve been on the receiving end of Wellsí irritation.

What did you see that concerned you in Masters 45-49? Suffice to say I have intimate knowledge of that division....
Old 08-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #112
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Diana- 45+ men. The MQ winner declined the invite. He is a top 3 qual type person but doesn't hit top 10 in the games. Bill G announcing for the 2nd time and taking a spot. James G high qualifier each time but doesn't seem to find the games shape out, Felix who lost his videos and HG gave him a chance to re do some workouts posted a 840 score on MQ workout but only did 760ish on the redo and HQ let him in injured himself the day prior to the games. Who the heck trains hard on eve of the games. They guy who used an AB mat on the HSPU on the MQ with no plates got in and was almost last. Glad to be out of that division and into the 50's next year.

So happy to see my buddies Amanda A and Tonia go 1 and 2 in the womens 45+.
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 08-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #113
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Edit: nevermind, just saw the story.

As far as the judging, no way you can have an event with this many opportunities are judging errors and not have them. Well, at least not have instances where some will disagree with the decision a judge made.

Now I do believe the bikes having mechanical issues is a big problem. Crossfit supplies these bikes and to have one break on a competitor is not good. It's not fair to the competitor and as we know one bad finish can cost you a podium spot. I like that they are having events like the bike race but if you can't fairly address equipment failures like Noah had they need to stop including them.

Last edited by Jon Campbell : 08-07-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #114
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
Edit: nevermind, just saw the story.

As far as the judging, no way you can have an event with this many opportunities are judging errors and not have them. Well, at least not have instances where some will disagree with the decision a judge made.

Now I do believe the bikes having mechanical issues is a big problem. Crossfit supplies these bikes and to have one break on a competitor is not good. It's not fair to the competitor and as we know one bad finish can cost you a podium spot. I like that they are having events like the bike race but if you can't fairly address equipment failures like Noah had they need to stop including them.
I think any of the equipment used - rowers, ergs and so on can break or malfunction as long as they have a plan on how to not affect the athletes that much is vital.

seconds lost means points lost, which in turn can lead to a lower placing at the end which in the end is also prize money to the competitor.

Mind you it could have been worse....
Old 08-08-2018, 06:03 AM   #115
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
I think any of the equipment used - rowers, ergs and so on can break or malfunction as long as they have a plan on how to not affect the athletes that much is vital.

seconds lost means points lost, which in turn can lead to a lower placing at the end which in the end is also prize money to the competitor.

Mind you it could have been worse....
I get that but if a rower breaks surely they have spare rowers at the ready and the athlete can be back to rowing in no time. When a bike pedal falls off on a 1200M, or whatever it was, course what you are going to do? You can't have a spare bike on every inch of the course.

So yes, equipment failures happen but 99% of events are performed in essentially one place/spot. This makes equipment replacement fairly seamless as long as they have spare equipment at the ready.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #116
Jacob Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
I get that but if a rower breaks surely they have spare rowers at the ready and the athlete can be back to rowing in no time. When a bike pedal falls off on a 1200M, or whatever it was, course what you are going to do? You can't have a spare bike on every inch of the course.

So yes, equipment failures happen but 99% of events are performed in essentially one place/spot. This makes equipment replacement fairly seamless as long as they have spare equipment at the ready.
I mean, they were riding tREKS......... HEYOOOOO!!! (insider cyclist joke)
Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #117
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I actually liked most of the events at the Games this year. Wasn't a fan of the bikes since there were quite a few equipment failures, something you don't want to see given the fact that the athlete's were not in charge of them (unlike a tri where they own the bike). Yes, there were for sure some judging inconsistencies, but that's going to happen in heats of 10-15. I wish we could narrow the scope so that this was not such a big deal, I think Dave and Boz have some room to work here with ideas to get there, and they seem to solve many problems, so hopefully we will see something one day.

About testing the athlete's at Regional's, it is simply too cost prohibitive to do this. I do think you would pop several more, but what's important is that the ones who go are the ones who don't get popped. That's really the best you can do. Before long it could look like the international Olympic Lifting community and 3-6 getting popped every year. No one wants that in the sport, but everyone wants a level playing field. Hard to have the best of both worlds when it comes to PEDs.