CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Jason Watson

Profile:
mmm..... BEER

I knew that would get your attention, bunch of drunks.. ha, just kidding. I know that we are all very health/nutrition/fitness concious people, but we like to enjoy ourselves like anyone else. My question is: How much of a set back can 9-12 pints of Ale (not the carbonated lager/domestic light type beer) over the course of an entire weekend (3-4 a night) have on your training/nutrition regimen?

Do many of ya'll abstain from beer altogether? Or should we allow ourselves to indulge occasionaly because we train so hard, and eat so well the majority of the time? Just something that has been on my mind.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Simon Bowley

Profile:
Re: mmm..... BEER

I got into a habit of having 1-3 beers most nights.

Start of the year I cut it to 2 nights a week max and then I'll only have 3-4 beers max.

Feel fantastic for it and don't miss the booze in the slightest.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

It is bad, it is not good for your performance, it is pure empty calories, but is it that much of an overall bad thing?

You're the only one to know at which degree of efficiency you want to eat/train/take care of yourelf.

With all other good eating habits and the kind of training done here, it won't impact your general health as much as "regular" people. And all those good things might actually neglects all of the bad things about beer.

It all comes down to the performance your seeking and optimally you shouldn't drink beer for this reason.

If your not a competive atlethe or you just like to enjoy the good things in life ( with moderation :P ) drink that beer, if it makes you feel better

I'm pretty sure the most competitive crossfitters out there won't drink much beer in preparation for the xfit games this summer for example.
Lastly I'd like to remind you of the 4 pillars of health:
-training
-nutrition
-rest
-enjoyment of life( control of the stress of life)

If not drinking that beer would affect your enjoyment of life more than it affects the actual gain in performance (training), it might not even be worht it to stop

Fred
Old 02-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
David Knutzen

Profile:

Jason, what I usually do when I'm hankering for a brew is go pour myself a high-quality microbrew or something like that, and just enjoy it over the course of a night. If you enjoy beer like I do (I actually brew my own, which is great fun :stir, then this way you get to really savor something great and well-made, instead of slamming down 3-4 pints of crap in a night.

Saves you the extra calories, and I find its more satisfying over all. Saves a little money too, depending on just how good that beer really is.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I'd say you're better off having 1-2 beers/night than getting 9-12 over a weekend. Not that it's the worst thing to tie one on now and then so long as you're not hurting yourself and others, but it certainly won't improve your fitness. I think it's better to use alcohol in more therapeutic ways than to go Animal House two nights out of the week.

The question is: are the benefits of small amounts of alcohol (dark beer, red wine) really true (I think they are)? Or is it that people will allow themselves 30 minutes to an hour/day to actually relax? Not just read til they fall asleep, but put their feet up, and relax? Maybe a combination of both.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
David Wallach

Profile:

'I long to fill my flesh with soul, to fill my soul with flesh. I long to reconcile the two eternal antagonists.'

Kazantzakis

ps: Beer is wonderful.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Dehydration, lowered testosterone levels and a bunch of completely worthless calories.

Someone who truly cares about their performance wouldn't drink something like that.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
Oliver Gould

Profile:

I disagree, I really care about my performance and I allow myself a night of drinking and eating whatever I want every week. I've improved by leaps and bounds and actually feel better when I get a short period of tons of carbs and calories. Obviously, be smart and don't drink the night before you workout or you'll meet pukie in a serious way.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
Jason Borzych

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Gould View Post
I disagree, I really care about my performance and I allow myself a night of drinking and eating whatever I want every week. I've improved by leaps and bounds and actually feel better when I get a short period of tons of carbs and calories. Obviously, be smart and don't drink the night before you workout or you'll meet pukie in a serious way.
I would like to echo that, not so much that i feel better, but it is like hitting the reset button, the night i due my last workout of the cycle I have a few beers and maybe eat stuff i usually wouldn't (nothing too crazy) and then get mentally prepared to hit the next cycle. That being said if I was using CrossFit to train for some competition that was very important to me my thoughts would be different. Its purely a quality of life thing with me
Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
Jack Gayton

Profile:

My drinking as cut down drastically in the years since college. Still, prior to really getting into CF, I would still drink a few beers a night Fri - Sun .. What I noticed was 1 -2 on a Friday night, no problem. I feel good the next day and can still get at the WOD. However, anything more than that, performance drops way off. The return on investment seems to plummet after beer 2...

I think it comes down to viewing what you put into your body as fuel. Not just for the WOD, but for life in general. The thought of wasting a day w/ a hangover just makes me sad..

That being said, a "blurry" night once in a while probably is good for the soul. At least mine anyway..