CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 11-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Aaron Sweeney

Profile:
Paleo Convert!!!

For anyone out there considering going Paleo….DO IT and DO IT NOW!!! In 2007 I weighed nearly 300lbs and after some health scares with a couple of coworkers that were my approximate age (1 died, 1 lived both hear attacks). I embarked on a two year journey to lose 80lbs. I did it the conventional way with severe caloric restriction and lots of treadmill time. It was not a fun journey.
It worked but I stalled out and for the first 10 months of 2010 I actually gained back 20lbs despite all of my work. I did not feel healthy and was frustrated. I had zero energy and was drinking 5 to 6 cups of coffee just to make it through the day. My wife had started to "eat clean" on her own and got me starting to look into the effect that the food you eat has on your hormones (insulin regulation). I ended up finding Robb Wolf’s podcast and his book (Paleo Solution). While reading the book all I could think of was that's me!! Tons of whole wheat tortillas and other processed/refined foods that traditionally have been classified as healthy. I was having al of the issues that were mentioned in the book despite the fact that I was doing everything that conventional wisdom said I should.
I had only read a third of the book when I decided I had to do this. So on 10/19/10 at 240 lbs, I started eating Paleo. The change was almost instantaneous. My energy levels and moods were elevated and no longer spiked/crashed. I felt that my appetite was consistently satiated. In fact, I have a hard time hitting the caloric goal that I try to meet each day (1,700 calories) without feeling full. I track my intake and calorie burn using a Bodybugg and have found that my typical caloric intake was broken down between 30-40% Protein, 30-40% Fat and 20-30% Carbs. I was actually a little scared seeing this until I weighed in the first week and saw that I had lost 8lbs. I couldn't believe it!! Feeling great and losing weight!!
Another positive side effect is the change it had on my family. My wife was on a fitness cruise herself during the first week I was on the program and I was on 100% kid duty during this time. Both of my kids saw the difference in my attitude and physical appearance and jumped on board as well. Though both were physically fit but have a renewed sense of what is a healthy diet. Though they and my wife do not eat full Paleo like I try to do, they are employing a lot of the concepts daily and our whole family is healthier for it.
I have never really been a big “poster” of things, until now. On Thanksgiving, I decided to get in a quick Muay Thai home-brewed metcon workout and after 30 minutes of hard work I decided to get on the treadmill for a bit to watch some football and burn a few more calories (leisurely) before having my first Paleo Thanksgiving prepared by my wife. After walking 4 miles, I decided to run 2 miles which turned into me saying "I'm gonna run a full marathon today!" My wife and kids said go for it and checked on me regularly and bringing me water and almonds throughout the duration. Keep in mind that though I run at least 5 days per week, I typically do not go any further than 8 miles and spend approximately half of that distance doing intervals. I also do home-brewed CF/MMA/TRX style workouts of my garage gym. Because of this, I was originally planning to break it into 2 sessions, 1 pre and 1 post turkey.
Well...I ended up doing all 26.2 miles in one session in 4:57:23. Not a great time, but I'll take it considering I walked the first hour of it.
BTW, as of 11/25/10, I am down 29lbs and can actually do real pull-ups now. That is almost 30lbs in just a little over a month.
I can't thank stress the impact that making these changes has had on my life. I am happier, sleep better (still not 8 hours per night though) and healthier.
I wish I would have had blood work done and had some more recent before and after pictures. I only have ones from when I was real big.

I am know shooting for 185lbs and hope to get there soon. If you are thinking about going Paleo, stop thinking and just do it.

Aaron Sweeney
Satisfied Paleo Convert
Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Paleo Convert!!!

That is fantastic! I love hearing stuff like this. Maybe if enough people keep raving about paleo, and similar, people who need to lose weight will realize there is a way way better way than food pyramid garbage.

Keep it up!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Rob Zehner

Profile:

Incredible testimonial. Congratulations on changing your life Aaron. I'm printing this off and posting it in my new box if you don't mind. You will be inspiring many others!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Aaron Sweeney

Profile:

Rob

Go for it. I have been inspired by others on this forum and I am glad to hear I can do the same. My wife is doing "Paleo Lite" and is the lightest she has been since we got married (15 years ago). I think I am my lightest in about 12 years and plan to keep going.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Lisa Erickson

Profile:

So proud of you...I am having trouble sticking to Paleo 100% of the time. So many things happen where I am stuck with no good choice or I have a weak moment. I know how good I feel when I stick with it. Going to buy the book Paleo solution. Keep up the good work!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Aaron Sweeney

Profile:

Lisa. Thx. I am know in the 2 Ohs as in "ohhhyeahhh!!" Down almost 32lb (from 240) as of this morning. Can't say enough good things about changing to this sort of eating. I also try to track my P-C-F ratios to ~40-20-40 using my Bodybugg application. Being able to look at the historicals has helped me determine that this is the optimal mix for me for weight loss. Not sure what I am going to do once I get to goal weight to stop losing as I feel like I eat all of the time now. Don't want to go off paleo and just cheat more to slow progress as I now feel like crap whenever I do. Have any of you heard of or have any experience with this? I still have almost 40lbs to go (I think) so it will be awhile. Just planning ahead.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Bob D Pratt

Profile:

Great work Aaron. I got Robb's book for Christmas and had decided a couple weeks ago to start Jan. 1st. But since then I've been about 80% 'clean' and I feel GREAT. I'm a firefighter and struggle with adrenal fatigue: just like you I saw a lot of myself in the book.
In two weeks my weight is down, my energy level is up and my mood is great. I'm really looking forward to the 30 day challenge.
Keep us posted!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:35 AM   #8
Daniel Alexander Johnson

Profile:

That's awesome, nice work.
I will be doing Paleo 100% for a month starting January.
When people comment on how I eat too much meat and fat all day i struggle to explain how wrong they are. If only everyone gave it a go and would see how awesome it makes you look and feel!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Reis Baron

Profile:

Aaron:

Well done! I started Paleo myself in November, and while I haven't weighed myself I likely started at around 330 lbs, and I've shed more than two pant sizes since I started. The CF/Paleo combo is a winning one for sure.

You should be very proud of your results! Thanks for sharing...

Reis