CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Matt Spooner

Profile:
Anti-ageing clinic

Hi all,
I have a client who is going to a anti ageing clinic-down here in Oz , i dont know much about these clinics-they seem few & far between,are they popular OS? (legal)? expensive? what do they provide? dont really want to ask my client to much as i guess its rather personal?He is approx 50 years old & has to get regular blood checks?
regards matt from Oz.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: Anti-ageing clinic

If the clinics in Oz serve the same purpose as those in the US, your client is most likely being given hormone therapy... low doses of anabolic steroids, and possibly growth hormone. More power to him, I hope he gets to feel like he's 21 again!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Matt Spooner

Profile:

Hi Jason,
You are probably right-are these clinics legal? Expensive in states? Side effects?
I have been training him for many years now-he has been making some really good gains lately & seems a lot more committed to his training-he is the only person i know of that use such a clinic down here & I only know of 2 of these clinics (through him) in Sydney Australia (though probably more).
Are these clinics main stream in the states or Underground? I am very interested because his gains & renewed energy are impressive-even his old injuries seem to have improved (shoulder/knee)!!!
Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Legal, yes (with a script from a doctor). Mainstream, no.
Anabolics have been discussed here previously to some extent. while there are side effects, from my understanding they are easily prevented. You may want to talk to your client about this and get his first hand experiences, all of my knowledge on the subject comes second hand from guys that have tried them and from internet research. Given what I know on the subject, as I age I will be speaking to a doctor about hormone replacement if I ever feel like my quality of life is decreasing (focus, drive, sex life, etc) due to low testosterone levels. Your friend will probably be glad to share his experience if asked.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Paul Shortt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Spooner View Post
Hi Jason,
You are probably right-are these clinics legal? Expensive in states? Side effects?
I have been training him for many years now-he has been making some really good gains lately & seems a lot more committed to his training-he is the only person i know of that use such a clinic down here & I only know of 2 of these clinics (through him) in Sydney Australia (though probably more).
Are these clinics main stream in the states or Underground? I am very interested because his gains & renewed energy are impressive-even his old injuries seem to have improved (shoulder/knee)!!!
Thoughts?
Certainly sounds like HRT/TRT. The only thing I would say is be careful with 1rm. Testosterone supplementation (replacement really..) leads to faster increases in muscle strength than it does in tendon strength. Just something to be wary of when he starts powering out the 450lb 1rm back squats!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
Matt Spooner

Profile:

Thanks for the feed back.
Does anyone have any idea how much it costs? I am pretty sure he goes fortnightly (I think?). he is also quite wealthy!
I am sure with the gains he is getting they could ask big $`s for this treatment as I`d say once you start-would be hard to go back to how you were prior?
Also would you keep those gains if you did stop treatment?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Also would you keep those gains if you did stop treatment? "

SOrt of. You would keep most of what strength and endurance and power you developed while on treatment. After you stopped, your mood and concentration would revert back towhat it was before along with sex drive and recovery ability. YOu would also see a bigger drop in 1rm then a 5rm.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Paul Shortt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Spooner View Post
Thanks for the feed back.
Does anyone have any idea how much it costs? I am pretty sure he goes fortnightly (I think?). he is also quite wealthy!
I am sure with the gains he is getting they could ask big $`s for this treatment as I`d say once you start-would be hard to go back to how you were prior?
Also would you keep those gains if you did stop treatment?
Couldn't tell you a price as it's not something I've ever looked into, doubt it's cheap though. It also can be problematic if the prescribing Dr isn't clued up. It shouldn't just be test, it should also be HCG and arimidex. The thought of one shot every two weeks isn't a nice one either.. Ideally you wouldn't want to go more than 4 days without a shot.

Jamie's covered the strength Q. But I'd just say if you're thinking of going on TRT then it's for life, and if you plan on using and then coming off again, then really you're thinking of a cycle. Either way long before you pull the trigger you need to do a lot of research and fully aware of the risks.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"HCG and arimidex"

HCG is really only important if you want kids. Sperm usually comes back after even long cycles and HCG can be taken afterwards if it doesn't. HCG ain't cheap, so kids is the only reason to do this.

So you all know, HCG is a compound that mimics the chemical signal your brain (I forget the exact portion) send that tells the testicles to produce test and sperm.

Arimidex is an anti estrogen. It stops the aromatizing of testosterone into estrogen.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

I see TRT as the next big push from big phrama (WFS)