CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #11
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Tried everything to help sleep.. no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileen Reid View Post
Gee I'd like to get home early enough to manage to get tea ready and finish it 3 hours before bed! We manage half an hour, maybe an hour at best. Some people lead a charmed life!
If you had problems sleeping, why would you drink a caffeinated beverage before sleep?

Caffeine and sleep

Every single exposure to caffeine can produce cerebral stimulant effects. This is especially true in the areas that control locomotor activity (eg, caudate nucleus) and structures involved in the sleep-wake cycle (eg, locus ceruleus, raphe nuclei, reticular formation). In humans, sleep seems to be the physiological function most sensitive to the effects of caffeine. Generally, more than 200 mg of caffeine is required to affect sleep significantly. Caffeine has been shown to prolong sleep latency and shorten total sleep duration with preservation of the dream phases of sleep. Whether the difference in the sensitivity to the effects of coffee on sleep can be attributable to tolerance is not clearly established.

According to some studies, this difference could reflect the individual sensitivity to caffeine, possibly related to differences in the rate of caffeine metabolism. Indeed, poor sleepers are reported to metabolize caffeine at a lower rate. Four of the 10 subjects of the study had elimination half-lives exceeding 4.8 hours. The variability in response from one night to the next also should be taken into account. Nevertheless, some evidence exists of tolerance to caffeine-related sleep disturbance, since heavy coffee drinkers appear to be less sensitive to caffeine-induced sleep disturbances than light coffee drinkers. Likewise, tolerance to sleep latency and quality of caffeine has been shown to develop over 2 days of testing in one study and over 7 days in another. However, the tolerance is not complete and the sleep efficiency remains below 90% of the baseline value after 7 days of caffeine treatment.

Thus, tolerance to some of the effects linked to regular consumption of coffee seems to occur, especially in animals. In humans, the data are less conclusive. This may be the result of individual differences in the susceptibility and tolerance to caffeine-induced effects. Moreover, mechanisms of tolerance may be overwhelmed by the nonlinear accumulation of caffeine and its primary metabolites in the human body when caffeine metabolism is saturated under multiple-dosing conditions

section taken from
wfs
http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic666.htm

Some sleep Md recommend No caffeine for 6 hours before bed.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #12
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

Frank,

Aileen is from Australia where "tea" = " supper"
Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:

I second the Benedryl suggestion. You also might try meditation.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Neil Duncan

Profile:

Thanks for the tips guys..

Frank - Very informative thanks! - Certainly got a few things to adjust and try now

Jay - Going to try and find that book you mentioned.. sounds useful.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:18 AM   #15
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Sorry - yes tea equals dinner, third major meal of the day :-)

I don't have tea or coffee after 3pm!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #16
Aileen Reid

Profile:

The benadryl one was interesting since my partner works shifts. But I did find one website where people assess their medication and post their experiences (askapatient.com?????? WFS) and there were quite varied experiences on it. It appears that about 1/3 of people become less relaxed with it. And many remain quite dopey for a time after they wake. Nightmares were mentioned by some. But others found it brilliant. Between 25 and 50 mg was suggested.

My partner is also quite allergic and his deviated septum gives him trouble at night so I am quite keen for him to try it. A little less snorting and snoring would also be good! :-)
Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileen Reid View Post
The benadryl one was interesting since my partner works shifts. But I did find one website where people assess their medication and post their experiences (askapatient.com?????? WFS) and there were quite varied experiences on it. It appears that about 1/3 of people become less relaxed with it. And many remain quite dopey for a time after they wake. Nightmares were mentioned by some. But others found it brilliant. Between 25 and 50 mg was suggested.

My partner is also quite allergic and his deviated septum gives him trouble at night so I am quite keen for him to try it. A little less snorting and snoring would also be good! :-)
yes, benadry does those things. It dries you up so when you wake up.. your mouth and nose are dry, and your thrist is strong. Because it can cause a wide range of effects on the person, start the dose low and see what works with mininal side effects for best results.

Why does he have his deviated septum corrected? If he complains to the md about how his quality of sleep is not being affected, health insurance should pickup the bill for it. Plus it may stop the snoring. But snoring could be a whole other set of problems.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #18
George Mounce

Profile:

I actually drink the Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time tea with Valerian before bed, it does wonders for me.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #19
Camille Lore

Profile:

50mg (two) benadryls makes me groggy in the am. 1 doesn't do it as much. I really hate the grogginess from it though.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #20
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I've tried to convince Rob to get his nose done but he's fairly fatalistic. Its meant to be! Plus he was born like it so to a certain extent he's used to it. The last lot of xrays did show his nose is a mess from being continually stressed etc but to try and convince him to take time off work to have it fixed - sheesh!